Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Things you have printed with your Flashforge 3D printer

I figured it would be interesting to see what everybody is printing with their Flashforge.
    This will hopefully spark up some discussions too and make our active little community even more active.

From testing cubes to 20-hour prints, and from a functional part to creative art.. here you can share it with your fellow Flashforgers!
    So let's see them!

(hopefully this can get stickied just like the one on the Makerbot subforum)

Great idea!

Here are a few of my latest prints:

20141021_133702.jpg20141020_095426.jpg

I like the material that you used for that Marvin, Stigern!

I'm still printing with the ugly blue PLA (but it's great to spot defects on that material!)
    Here are a few test prints I did recently, still trying to improve the quality of my prints:

P1040701.jpgP1040702.jpgP1040706.jpgP1040712.jpgP1040714.jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    some impressive bridging in that last one df.

Technician
    Some of my first examples, now got the printer setup and level and turning out some actual parts.
    All in ABS from 3D Filaprint (great supplier, all here next day here in the UK and seems very consistent quality and bed adhesion)

Go Gopher - at Low quality settings in Simplify 3D - was something for my daughter as she is building a little board game (normally uses Kinder Egg toys or paper cutouts - she is as ecstatic with the printer as I am )
    IMAG0434.jpg

A first try at dual extrusion. This I had to do, I backed the Micro3D printer on Kickstarter, then outgrew its tiny build size before it even arrived with projects I want to do. I heard from (so called) experts that a dual extrusion never works, it will fail, that cheap eBay printer will just break etc etc.
    Rubbish. It came out really well I thought for a quick test print on low settings - this one was combined in RepG (before I got Simplify) and is a mix of the included filament and one I bought.
    IMAG0429.jpg

Something more functional - one of a few bits I have printed for the actual printer itself. Again low quality in Simplify3d. This is one of four corner blanking plates for those cable holes on our printers.
    Also have done a couple of fan guards (After I broke one of the extruder fan blades while loading filament - a worthwhile upgrade) and a standoff for the guide tubes at the back which stops the filament from not feeding right.
    IMAG0435.jpg

Have done four of these so far - just waiting on some pink ABS which should be here tomorrow. After just finishing my daughters toy room and storage unit wasn't very happy with the horrible door knobs that came with it. She loves owls so these seemed ideal! After spotting some in store for £5 a piece thought "hmm 3d printer to the rescue!" and found this design on Thingiverse.
    These are by far my best print so far, high quality settings in Simplify, 0.1 layer heights. Required next to no cleanup at all - this one is untouched so far bar raft removal. Nearly 3 hours though for 4 of them and the round standoffs for the screw holes at the back.
    IMAG0438.jpg

Cool prints Bobbler! Good to see you're having a lot of fun with your printer.

Regarding dual extrusion; lots of people will say that it's 'impossible' because dual extrusion is basically dual the problems.. and if you don't have one extruder under control then its almost impossible to get them both under control.
    But it looks like you already have quite good settings going on.

The only problem that still remain is that extruders keep leaking plastic and with big parts this means that they leave drops of one color on a surface that's the other color.. Makerware has these purging walls for that and S3D will supposedly come out with some good dual extrusion settings in a few months.
    Same is visible in your print: some white drops of plastic on the edges of the blue surface; but depending on your model you can wipe/sand this off (or use Makerware with purge walls for now)

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Will get this stickied for you Dargon,

ergh.. so many things I have printed there is 100 or so on here http://www.thingiverse.com/Geoffro/made/

If I were to pic my top 10 favorite prints from the flashforge over the years, it would be these probably...

I put this one first because its the hardest print I've done, and not for the print itself, but getting the model print ready.. It is really high res, your PC crunches a bit just slicing it..

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:383200

lol.. as I said just go to thingiverse if you want to see more Flashforge stuff, 99 percent of my makes are from the FF, only some of the new stuff is on a kossel.

I did just release my first robot tho, this was all printed on the flashforge

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:500414
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technician
    Awesome painting skills too!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Will get this stickied for you Dargon,

Cool stuff Geoff!! Love it! I really love this mask and was also intrigued by the three 'scratches' on it. Did you paint it on or did you use a soldering iron to create those three scratches?

Are there any tutorials or tips you'd recommend on finishing/painting your prints? Or did you figure everything out by yourself over time?

But really, they're all lovely, keep us updated when you print something new!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Dargonfly View Post
    Cool stuff Geoff!! Love it! I really love this mask and was also intrigued by the three 'scratches' on it. Did you paint it on or did you use a soldering iron to create those three scratches?

Are there any tutorials or tips you'd recommend on finishing/painting your prints? Or did you figure everything out by yourself over time?

But really, they're all lovely, keep us updated when you print something new!
    Thanks mate, yep you guessed it, soldering iron for the scratch marks. I am currently filming some video tutorials, as most of the painting I do is just a progression of painting lots of models as a kid, and 3D printed things are no different really, just require a bit more finishing. Prime undercoat, dry brush over the top with some gloss enamel to finish it off, nothing special really, just a few decades of practice But I think I can simmer it down into 1 or 2 youtibe vids'. I just want to help people make their prints not look so drab, and with even 30 mins to an hour its easily possible for someone who's never even painted a model before. Alot of my painting is not down to skill, it's just technique, and it's a repeatable technique that you can apply to pretty much all model painting.

I still don't find I can get the detail I am after with regular 3D prints, thats why I want to get into SLA printing more because they are more akin to a resin or vinyl model kit which is what I am used to painting more.

I am currently working on 2 really big ones, one is a full size Robocop helmet and the other a life size poseable facehugger.. and boy is that gonna be popular.. all fully articulated with posable fingers etc...

Put it this way, when I say I do alot of printing..

this is just my surplus batch... because all my air tight containers are full of the new rolls (+ 3 machines loaded.. )

Amazingly my wife hasn't cut any of my gonads off yet.. She told me no more than one printer, I am nearly at 4 now and its taken over an office hahaha

photo (14).jpg
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast