Close

Student

FFCP modifications?

Hi All, a newbie here and to 3D printing. Had my FFCP for a week and a half now and generally quite impressed. Learnt the basics of OpenSCAD to design the parts I need and have used ReplicatorG for printing and Skienforgefor slicing so far.

ABS prints fine, but having a bit of trouble with PLA sagging on overhangs and would prefer not to use supports. Not talking big sharp overhangs, more like 45 degree outward slopes on circular objects. Wondering if a layer fan would be the answer? Not keen on adding a big lump to the head carriage, so thinking about some doughnut shaped thing around the nozzle with holes below, connected to a chassis mounted fan via a flexible pipe.

Another thought is to modify the FFCP to remove the extruder steppers to the chassis and use Bowden cable link to the hotends. Seems quite a mass shaking around there as it is. Already have one extruder and separate hotend from a stalled previous project to build a delta style. A house move put that project on hold!

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on the above suggested mods?
    Last edited by FrankV; 10-18-2014 at 02:25 AM.

Technician
    Hi,

I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to re-architect the extruder mechanism on my new printer.... I'll be interested to hear how it goes, if you do.

There are a number of fan duct Things, several of which have been discussed in threads here in the forum. I'm tinkering with a few of them; not having too much success so far, but I'm willing to believe that's cockpit error, and will keep on going.

Two mods that are simple, but work pretty well are these:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:416889 This is a clip to hold the extruder wiring harness up with the extruder tubes. It keeps things tidy. Should also work with the Creator X; it's the same tube and harness.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:479416 This is a replacement hinge for the door. This hinge has a ball-and-socket structure that lets you lift the door off completely. Useful for PLA printing with the fan duct, or it will be once I get that working. One minor issue is that the pivot for the hinge is well out from the printer body, and the door is essentially on a lever, and twists out from the printer body at the bottom. I'm using blue tape to hold it shut, while I ponder a better solution.

Cheers,

John
    Last edited by jdg56; 10-18-2014 at 05:27 PM.

I just used hotglue and some wood stick to attach a 140mm fan to some support, and place it in-front of my printer with the door open. Cools PLA very nicely down.