Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

heads not level - thoughts please :-)

So does anyone know how to raise the right head ?
    Probably only about a half or quarter mil difference. But it means I can't calibrate both nozzles to the same degree.

As I only used it briefly when I got the machine and it got jammed and basically I've been using the left head since then. I have no idea if it came like this. Or if I somehow lowered it by unscrewing it and replacing it. I couldn't calibrate properly from day one. That was mostly the unlevel bed - but this might have also been an issue.
    Both heads are fully screwed in and won't go any further. So it's not that.

Either way it's no good as it is.
    I did think maybe unscrew the left one a half turn - but the left head has always behaved impeccably, so i don't want to bugger it up.

Help !

My current thought is loosen the right carriage bolt and stick a couple sheets of paper on the right side to level the carriage directly. But that might bugger up the left nozzle, maybe. It'll be tilted - only very very slightly, but still tilted.

Anyone got any better ideas ?
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-16-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Senior Engineer
    I put a red cardboard washer under each side of the aluminium bar. This washer will compress a bit and it is plenty for adjusting the head. I use a DTI on the bed and move the heads over it then tighten or loosen one or other of the screws until my heads are level. I can get it easily with in 0.0005 inches which is reasonable for most things.

As a reference my Stratasys head level adjust is accurate to under 0.0005 of an inch, one turn of the screw is 0.001 so generally you can get it down to less than 0.0002. It is recommended that anything over 0.0008 is in need of adjustment.

Senior Engineer
    From your picture the left nozzle looks very worn. If it were replaced maybe your heads would be level

nah that's just crap on it. Clean it up and it looks fine.
    Do they get shorter with use ? Genuine question.

Plus I haven't been able to find any replacement heads that fit the plastic tube.
    We're currently toying with drilling out a standard head ans they're dirt cheap and easy to get.

Cheers for the washer idea mjoilnir - it makes sense - just wasn't sure if it'd bugger things up. If not, then that's the simplest quickfix
    Thanks, I'll try that later.

Technician
    Shouldn't get shorter with use - unless you start dragging them across the build platform constantly - even then I am sure you would notice that

I thought the head height could be adjusted - was reading on here last night a lot of posts and came across it.
    There is a set screw in the aluminium plate above each of the heads. you can loosen it and then move the head up or down. It is on the front on mine (I noticed it last night when I had made the mistake of trying to print Ninjaflex and it wound around the motor - Doh! - will give it another go tonight now I have found the fix for it ). There are two black allen heads right in line with the print heads.
    Will see if I can find the thread a mo.

Ah here it is:
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ighlight=screw

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbler View Post
    Shouldn't get shorter with use - unless you start dragging them across the build platform constantly - even then I am sure you would notice that

I thought the head height could be adjusted - was reading on here last night a lot of posts and came across it.
    There is a set screw in the aluminium plate above each of the heads. you can loosen it and then move the head up or down. It is on the front on mine (I noticed it last night when I had made the mistake of trying to print Ninjaflex and it wound around the motor - Doh! - will give it another go tonight now I have found the fix for it ). There are two black allen heads right in line with the print heads.
    Will see if I can find the thread a mo.

Ah here it is:
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ighlight=screw
    If you try to adjust the heads that way then you will be there for ever getting it right and you run the risk of damaging your heat transfer tubes, they get very tight in that top aluminium bar. I wrecked both of mine trying to adjust.

Technician
    Can you not put two similarly sized spacers in the gap above - thinking something like a feeler gauge would be ideal to give you the clearance the same for both sides?
    I am assuming of course that the heads are exactly manufactured to the same length though.

the heads don't neccessarily drag. But they do bump across the surface a lot if you're using a raft. And i pretty much just printed on rafts for a few months.
    I'm thinking that's probably the best explanation. The left bugger's worn.

Hmm, so use the right head till it's as worn as the left one, looks like the best quick solution. And replacing lefty in the longer term.

So does anyone know where i can get a new nozzle that the little plastic tube fits into ?

A set up gage like this could be useful;

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:299331

Senior Engineer
    What is with the little plastic tube thing? Does your printer have the PTFE tube that is in the stainless heat tube protruding from the bottom and so fitting inside the nozzle?

My head has 0.3 nozzles that were a few $ for 10 and the PTFE in the heat transfer tube sits flush at the end of the heat transfer tube. It all works with no problems.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast