Close

How can i profit out of 3d Printer??

i want to profit out of 3d printing start a small business. But i cant model or draw, i was thinking of paying freelancers then
    print out the 3d model and sell it on a website? or to buy a 3d printer and offer services online? what would be the best idea
    i don't have much money right now i can invest $1000 on printer. will i make a good profit?

Engineer
    Don't fantasize on the idea of doing busisness of selling 3D printed models, you will end up losing money instead. Up until 3-4 years ago, that would have worked very well. Now the main busisness on 3D printing are the big companies such as general electric printing titanium turbine blade, NASA printing some reactor component, Boeing and competitor for airduct and custom design.

With your 1000$ you could only get a FDM machine, and you will have hard time selling unless you can hook up with some engineer that constantly do project. SLA still have couple of years left, before it explode into the open source domain. SLS will last maybe till 2020 ....

Staff Engineer
    The problem is also any freelance 3D modeler you're likely to find either has a 3D printer already or is saving up to buy one, and if you get them an idea on a thing to sell, well, they'll be printing it themselves to sell without you as the middle man.

Just as a way of putting it in perspective, just take '3D' out of the question and see how silly it looks:
    "I want to profit out of printing and start a small business. But i cant paint or draw, i was thinking of paying freelancers then print out the art and sell it on a website?"
    It's basically the same as what you're asking.

Sorry, man, the machine alone isn't going to make you any money. You'll have to have some kind of skill to make some kind of profit.

Technician
    Certainly not enough to make a living but I'm surprised at the amount of people who are contacting me wanting printing jobs done. I setup an account on 3D Hubs, FB page and my own website using Wordpress which is great for SEO. No, I won't make a living at it but four or five hundred a month extra is nice and who knows, maybe it will build from there. I'm doing all this on a Printrbot Simple Metal but I just ordered a Makergear M2 which I should have in a few weeks. There is money to me made if you go after it.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    After seeing DK's other thread on 3dHubs, I took a look. Seems like a great way for designers to find a printer, and vice versa. I bought my printer as a hobbyist for hobbyist type things. But I already have 4 projects that may end up paying for the printer (2 of em may pay for my early retirement if they pan out). A site like 3dhubs seems like a great way to offset the cost of my toy.