Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician
    if you have a real peristaltic pump, you'll find that they use special tubing and plenty of lube to keep the tubing from getting destroyed by the pumping action. they also use barbed fittings, secured by hose clamps on each end of the tube that prevent the tube from moving out of the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dspider View Post
    if you have a real peristaltic pump, you'll find that they use special tubing and plenty of lube to keep the tubing from getting destroyed by the pumping action. they also use barbed fittings, secured by hose clamps on each end of the tube that prevent the tube from moving out of the pump.
    We deal a lot with real peristaltic pumps, I have not seen a small one that used glycerin. We have the fittings, the special hose and the glycerin in our stock, but I think the idea is to 3D print as much as possible.

Am I the only one thinking that a pump like this can move the saline solution both ways? Imagine a dripper at both ends of this tube, one for counting drops raising the resin, and another one at the other end for lowering the resin. No need for a stepper motor anymore.

Technically you would need a T coupling from the reservoir and two check valves to direct the flow properly.

Yes it can move both ways. And if you deliver at the bottom of the tank, you maybe dont need the dripper, if your hose is thin enough, do that you can dose small amounts correctly.

I personally like steppers, it is very easy to control their position/speed and make accurate pump dosing. And you can easily find hardware/software to get anybody going with them. A RC servo driven pump could also be a nice solution.

Just the pumphead, with motor and control and a thin hose to reach between the 2 tanks. Then you can raise and lower the liquid level.

My 3D printer is not up and running yet, when it is, I will try to make this thing. I need it for my work anyway

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    If you dont mind using a stepper why not have a feed tank of water slightly lower than the build tank with a hose connecting to two. Then use a stepper to lower some displacing mass into the feed tank, the level of the saline in the build tank will also rise.

In-fact you don't even need a stepper, a roll of steel beads on a large reel being slowly unwound by a slow motor into the feed tank would slowly increase the saline level in both tanks

That is a great and simple idea

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    Use a bag of sand with a hole in it and you can do away with even the motor. It'll be like an hour glass

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    I apologise as this becomes a stream of my thoughts:

If you had a slowly unwinding spool of bbs (im thinking of these doodars: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ROLLER-ROMAN...tal+ball+chain ) then it could pass though a drip counter device too. a drinking straw with wires just poking though the walls, making contact as each little bb passes by.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12