Close

Thread: What's SCARA?

What's SCARA?

Can anyone help me to explain in short what is SCARA, which is currently the model for modern RepRaps like Morgan and Wally?
    Thanks,
    Hung.

Technologist
    Selective Compliance Assembly Robot Arm or Selective Compliance Articulated Robot Arm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCARA

Quote Originally Posted by KDog View Post
    Selective Compliance Assembly Robot Arm or Selective Compliance Articulated Robot Arm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCARA
    Thanks. But this is a long academic article which is hard to get. I need short and easy explanation that a normal person can understand so he can differentiate the old and modern SCARA RepRap design.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TaoTac View Post
    I need short and easy explanation that a normal person can understand so he can differentiate the old and modern SCARA RepRap design.
    Simply, previous Reprap models use a system of belts and rods to position the extruder head relative to the printing area. With the Huxley, both the head and bed are moved linearly, on the X (left-right) and Y (front-back) axes respectively, as you can see in this picture. The head is also moved on the Z (up-down) axis.

The Morgan uses an arm with rotating joints to do the same positioning, rotationally rather than linearly, operating similarly to how you would use your shoulder and elbow (but in this case, no wrist) to position your hand.

Last edited by Compro01; 11-26-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Yes i think this is a beautifull concept of a 3d printer, build in south africa. thinking about building this kind of printer myself.

@Compro01Thanks for the reply