Close

News or Updates - Anyone with 'insider' knowledge - Post Here

Hi!

Just popping this up in hope someone here might have insider knowledge and might consider throwing updates into a single thread so we can all see the info prior to the peachyprinter website updates.

(Even just simple updates)

I'm kind of an insider, I'm helping out with general stuff - putting together nuts and bolts, making stuff, and just being another set of eyes on designs and ideas. I don't have much formal background on software, engineering, or anything, I'm just a student at the UofS and a member of saskatoon techworks.

So anything I say is just speculation, and hopefully I don't send anyone in the wrong direction with the progress or plans.

We're loving every bit of the suggestions that come from here, but its obvious we can't try every good idea on the first design. So more often were going to have to suggest that you try it for yourself once the "betas" get shipped. In the meantime, collaborate on the ideas so that you have the best design to try out when you can. I'll also try to give my opinion, given what I've seen being discussed here.

I said "betas" because, as James also mentioned here, better word might be alpha. We want people to be changing the design we send, and to incorporate all of the ideas brought up here.

Engineer-in-Training
    I was curious about what James meant when we mentioned that. I always took from the videos that being able to incorporate different ideas was an important part of the design, even for the finished peachy printer. If possible, could you elaborate a little about how the beta kits are more like alphas? Quite bare-bones, or is there something specific about the beta kits that makes them especially hackable?

I don't know what exactly will be sent, but it says on kickstarter that you'll get extra parts. so maybe there will be some different things to try out. Otherwise, it won't take much to make or find your own parts to hack into it.
    It's hard to say it will be more hackable than the production ones, just that it is a lot earlier in development than a typical beta. If it was a typical beta it would be sent only a couple months before the production ones.

Student
    Really? You want insiders to spill the beans before it gets posted to updates? Okay... here it is. The next update will be that a test run of printed circuit boards have arrived. I hope you don't want me to spoil the next one, too.

Engineer-in-Training
    erikk, thanks for clearing that up. I was a little surprised about the early beta too, I see what you mean now. It's really very early.

Scott, that is awesome. So the board design is complete, huh? Can't wait to see what it looks like. Spoil away.

Like a kid on the day before xmas eve... I hope so much that the next update will reveal the laser can be set off & on during print with this new pcb, together with a few printsample shots (hi-res stills).

Someone is excited about getting their Peachy - I can't blame him =)

Hihi kingoddball =P

Can you feel that power consumption? Or lack thereof? ^.^

Yep yep yep.. Want... Need...