Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    In 3 comments I'm convinced we can do a better job, what are we all waiting for?
    We already have it cracked at minimal cost and with maximum reliability.

Don't leave your printer alone for long if it is switched on.

However you protect the thing there will always be ways that it can create life threatening havoc without triggering your alarm no matter how many sensors and cut outs you stick in there.

Student
    Add Solstie on Google+ Add Solstie on Thingiverse
    I have thought a lot about this in the past since I am always printing big prints.

My printer has smoked for me before without lighting up... Definitely think a smoke detector right on the printer is bare minimum safety consideration. It will at least give you a chance to check issues prior to a large fire. But obviously won't catch all issues. I have a regular battery operated smoke detector mounted on my printer. I have been thinking I should hook directly to my printer to short the board if it goes off (which would then cut power). Thought about adding thermistors, but so many potential power sources....

I like this product better because it is more robust by cutting off the power source on a separate system. Seems like it would be reasonably easy to make yourself but the price also seems reasonable.

My frame is a combo of wood and aluminum so definitely has me thinking... Good article!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    You know what? I think I'll stick to cutting my models into 10 hour prints..

I've never been a fan of leaving it on overnight, both for noise, fire and the fact my cat thinks the moving head is something to attack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12