Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

How to stop pla sticking to blue tape like limpets on steroids.

After trying to get abs to stick to anything, I've just started using pla and discovered that it sticks like super glue to blue tape.
    Now that does make printing with it really great, but I'm having issues actually getting it off the tape at all !

So how do I reduce the stickage slightly. Hotter bed or colder bed ?

I don't want to stop it sticking, just reduce the adhesion to the point that it doesn't remove the blue tape with the print and I then have to scrape the blue off the bottom of the print with a knife. Yes it's sticking that much !

first thing/ I've decalibrated slightly. ie: letting the paper slide much more loosely than I would usually do.
    I've also dropped the printing temp. Had a heart box that was totally fused. So it's obviously a little bit to fluid.
    The last couple of 0.4 marvins popped off quite easily.

Hoping this will lesson the stick.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-06-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    2 ways,

1. get some cardboard and sand the surface of the blue tape (or very very fine grit wet and dry sand paper) but something soft, just rub it all over the blue tape to make the surface more matte and not so porous. It turns a little whiter blue when this is done.

2. Cook the tape for an hour. Put your hotbed on 110c and dont print anything... then run another preheat, this expands the tape and also fills in the minute surface on the tape, which to the human eye looks smooth but even under a USB microscope is like a tonne of fiber layers bound together, and It I think it's that porous structure that makes it stick so damn well, sort of like how hip joins and such are made with porous sections to allow the bone to attach and graft, or like joining two pieces of clay together with a criss cross in the join.