Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer
    i agree with john. the software is great and for what it does its cheap compared to the money spent on the printer. fyi s3d doesnt give a free trial but they do give you a money back guarantee on it. if you dont like it, i think after 14 days or so they will give you your money back.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnA136 View Post
    Pricey? Really? How much money do we spend building, buying and modding out 3D printers? I can remember back in the day when we first brought AutoCad into the Drafting classrooms and were spending over $3,000.00 per machine just for the software.

Why is it the current breed of computer geeks think that they should be able to download whatever piece of software from a torrent site for free? Someone spent their time and talents developing it and I, for one, do not mind paying a fair price for it. Certainly, $150.00 seems reasonable to me for a piece of software that does all the things the people using Simplify3d are saying it does? (flame suit on)
    I am not disagreeing with you at all John, I think $150 pales in comparison to the probably $2000 I have spent in total on my Flashforge, let alone my other machines.. I simply got a torrent version to see if it works, if it does I am more than happy to pay the price. So far, I cannot get it working so it may be time to bite the bullet and just buy it and cross my fingers that it's as good as people have been saying.

At least it's a one off buy.. I find it hard to understand the same generation who complain about high software prices, are the same generation who spawned Itunes and In app purchases.. Where you download it for free, then pay through the nose for content...

Doesn't everyone just prefer the old days? when you buy it you buy it? Where You don't buy access to a 'cloud' for a month so you can use it?

man.. I love technology but some things just went so damn backwards it's a shame.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technician
    I think I'm allowed to have my opinion regarding the value I place on products, and to vote with my wallet. Given that replictorg and makerware are available at zero cost, I believe that Simplify3D costs a lot of money. It would be a nice thing if there were a 30-day trial so one could see whether that pile of cash were better spent on something that delivers better value. I don't pirate software, so I'll pass on Simplify3D for now.

I don't mind paying a fair price for anything that I consider to be of value. I'm reserving judgement on this particular bit of code until I see enough reviews I trust to justify its cost.

Also, I'm far from being 'the current breed of computer geeks'. I was around before there were personal computers, and rolled my first computer from solder and sockets. I know how the market works, and one of the reasons I run linux is to avoid spending large sums of money for software that is available as the work of people who love to share within my chosen community.

No flames intended, actually. We all have our opinions.

Cheers,

John

Senior Engineer
    I think I am coming to the conclusion that the open source 3d printing software does not fit into the same category as normal Linux open source stuff. Lots of times over the last 20 years I have had problems with a bit of software and always it is possible to get a conversation going with the author and they are generally as keen as I am to get over the problem or assist in your interfacing or whatever, they have a general interest in improving what they wrote.

With Skeinforge, Slic3r and others this doesn't seem to work, you can't get responses from people, no one knows the very specific low level stuff where you can input alterations, you can't get response from the authors, IRC doesn't help and that is one of the main routes to knowledgeable people in specific areas. If you go into the Slic3r room on IRC you will have hair like a gorilla and fingernails like a lama before you get a response. Having the source code is not enough particularly when it is not commented and seems so convoluted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    With Skeinforge, Slic3r and others this doesn't seem to work, you can't get responses from people, no one knows the very specific low level stuff where you can input alterations, you can't get response from the authors, IRC doesn't help and that is one of the main routes to knowledgeable people in specific areas. If you go into the Slic3r room on IRC you will have hair like a gorilla and fingernails like a lama before you get a response. Having the source code is not enough particularly when it is not commented and seems so convoluted.
    I haven't tried IRC, but email doesn't work. I made a suggestion, and no reply:

Hi! Thanks for all the effort you have put into Slicer!!!

I have a suggestion for you to consider. Would it be possible to get a couple more parameters defined within Slicer to help with Bridging. I'm having problems getting good adhesion when trying to do Bridges. The distance of the Bridge is not so much of an issue. The Bridge Speed and Bridge Flow rates handle that pretty well.

I'm wondering if we could have an option to either pause the nozzle for a short amount of time at the edge of a bridge so some material oooozes onto the edge to get good adhesion, or probably it would be better to specify some amount of filament length to deposit at the edge to Tack the filament before it starts pulling it across the gap.

Thanks for all you do!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jdg56 View Post
    I think I'm allowed to have my opinion regarding the value I place on products, and to vote with my wallet. Given that replictorg and makerware are available at zero cost, I believe that Simplify3D costs a lot of money. It would be a nice thing if there were a 30-day trial so one could see whether that pile of cash were better spent on something that delivers better value. I don't pirate software, so I'll pass on Simplify3D for now.
    I bought it based upon looking at a lot of videos and reviews on Youtube.
    Every one of them was good. I also looked at their forum, it also seemed pretty good.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jdg56 View Post

I don't mind paying a fair price for anything that I consider to be of value. I'm reserving judgement on this particular bit of code until I see enough reviews I trust to justify its cost.

Also, I'm far from being 'the current breed of computer geeks'. I was around before there were personal computers, and rolled my first computer from solder and sockets. I know how the market works, and one of the reasons I run linux is to avoid spending large sums of money for software that is available as the work of people who love to share within my chosen community.

No flames intended, actually. We all have our opinions.

Cheers,

John
    Nah, I am on your side of the fence too John, That's fair ,can't disagree with you there. The reason I've used pronterface, repetier host, makerware, and replicator G since I got my printer is because they are free and they just let me do what I needed to do. It's only now after some time that I am wanting more out of a printing program, when I first started, I was just happy when the damn thing worked lol.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12