Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ABS curling on the ends (10" i3v)

I'm sure this is a dead horse, but after making some decent prints in PLA, ABS seems to be dreadful. I have yet to make one stick. Specifically on the corners (I know, I said ends. I meant corners). I am using 110 for the bed temp, and 230 for the nozzle, although I've tried as high as 250 nozzle, since that's what came on the download from MakerFarm. Tried spraying the glass with hairspray, which did next-to-nothing, and also tried blue painter's tape, which made it stick for like 10 layers or so, before it gave up.

Any tips on making ABS stick? I'll try to find acetone to make some ABS juice. In the meantime, I had some things I wanted to print in ABS instead of PLA.

I'd also love to see configs for Slic3r and/or Cura (haven't had success at all in the latter). I'm running a .04 Hexagon. Stock fan shroud.

Thanks again, guys.

Banned
    Add jtice on Thingiverse
    I have had pretty good luck so far.
    I have a glass bed, 90C, hairspray, and use a Brim of 7, which I think helps alot.

This problem never goes away. It will always be with you. But there are things you can do to mitigate it.

I was making a Pump Jack for my brother. He just graduated as a Petroleum Engineer from the University of Texas. I had problems with the beams of the main Pump Jack curling up. I punched holes in the beam and that helped a lot. But I finally beat the problem when I cut little stress relief slots into the bottom part of the beams. If you rotate the Pump Jack and look at the bottom of it, what I just said will make sense.

Pump_Jack - All but gears.stl

ABS can be problematic on on open printer. PLA sticks great to painter's tape. not so much with ABS. You can print onto glass with an elmers glue stick or onto Kapton Tape with an ABS Slurry. Some people put anchors on the corners to help adhesion? Your temps seem in the ball park.

Engineer
    A brim will help a lot. I also have tossed my hairspray in favour of the Elmer's Glue stick method. I haven't had an ABS part warp on me yet since I've started using it.

I have found that bumping the bed up to 115 makes a huge difference. I went from everything popping off the bed on its own to having to use a pair of pliers to break it loose.

Wow, thanks, all! Big response. It looks like I have some experimenting to do. Luckily, I have 2 rolls of ABS to play with. I have PLA making some new Z-endstops, so I can get it a bit more accurate. Also need to get my bed leveling skills up to par, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    A brim will help a lot. I also have tossed my hairspray in favour of the Elmer's Glue stick method. I haven't had an ABS part warp on me yet since I've started using it.
    Hmmmm.... It might be time for me to try the Glue Stick!

Engineer
    I use the Elmer's Disappearing Purple Washable School Glue Stick. 2 sticks for about $2, if I remember correctly.

I have been using hair spray straight on the glass prints have been sticking well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast