Close

Engineer

lm8uu & alternative

Hey,

long story short, I have this hobby about scrapping inkjet printers and picking those nice shiny chromed shaft. Some of them happens to be 8mm shaft diameter, which is ideal for my BIY 3d printers. Now the problem is not all of them are 8mm diameter shaft. There are mainly 0.375" shaft from HP,Canon,Epson printers, and few others 10 and 9 mm. So I plan to use both standard, since my goal is to avoid buying new shafts/rod. I only need to buy the linear bearing to complete the basic setup.

Here's the catch;
    The price for LM8uu linear bearing cost about 1-3$ per bearings, and the price for 0.375" linear bearing is outrageous.
    Mcmaster is just overprice, they range from 15$-to 75$ per bearing ( http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-li...arings/=u01opr ). Granted they are designed for specific application, still, I would expect some sort of basic/light load application.

Can any of you recommend some cheap imperial linear bearing standard.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    Hey,

long story short, I have this hobby about scrapping inkjet printers and picking those nice shiny chromed shaft. Some of them happens to be 8mm shaft diameter, which is ideal for my BIY 3d printers. Now the problem is not all of them are 8mm diameter shaft. There are mainly 0.375" shaft from HP,Canon,Epson printers, and few others 10 and 9 mm. So I plan to use both standard, since my goal is to avoid buying new shafts/rod. I only need to buy the linear bearing to complete the basic setup.

Here's the catch;
    The price for LM8uu linear bearing cost about 1-3$ per bearings, and the price for 0.375" linear bearing is outrageous.
    Mcmaster is just overprice, they range from 15$-to 75$ per bearing ( http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-li...arings/=u01opr ). Granted they are designed for specific application, still, I would expect some sort of basic/light load application.

Can any of you recommend some cheap imperial linear bearing standard.
    Why not use LM8UU bearings with a 3d printed linear housing? thats the cheapest option everyone has gone for really.

Engineer
    I do, at least 2 of the current shaft are. If I had more 8mm diameter shaft, I would have gone straight for all LM8UU.
    At least, the second option is the LM10UU which is the second cheapest option.