Close

changing extruder temps

I have a Flashforge Creator 2, and am using Makerware for my prints. Problem is some of the thin wall prints (1 mm) are separating and I suspect extruder temp needs to be raised from the default of 230`. This is with ABS. When finished, I often can pull the layers apart with just minimal effort. Settings are 20% infill- 1 shell-- .15mm layer height speeds of 70mm extruder--90mm travel, and bed temp. of 108` and extruder temp of 235`. The bed temp stays within 1-3` of setting but extruder will not exceed 230` for actual printing. I can preheat much higher than this but no matter how I set extruder temp. in Makerware setting, extruder temp. will not go higher than 230` what is the procedure for this ? Just FYI, I am VERY new at 3d printing and am not afraid to admit that G-code "tinkering" is above my skill level! Do you have any suggestions? Would much appreciate any. Caveguy

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Using only 1 shell I would recommend for small things, or things that have alot of infill. If you are using 10-30 percent infill, I recommend using 2 shells.

Printing at 70ms on the flashforge is fine for smaller things, but when you print long, large items you need to have more than 1 shell and also significant infill to bind the layers together properly. I had that splitting problem a long time ago on my flashforge, and ideally it was down to me printing too fast for that particular filament.

try

Printing at 0.2mm. Some filaments wont go much lower without messing up and and also the flashforge is very average at 0.1mm prints.

The different between 0.15mm and 0.2mm is visually extremely hard to pick, 0.2mm looks about the same and your print will be faster, both printing and slicing.

60ms feed
    110ms travel (travel is not important... but any faster than 120 and you get that fine spider webbing issue)

Try 2 shells at %20 infill and see how you go with that. The extra shell is not a big time waster, it takes a fraction more time and makes your object much more solid.

Printing too hot can also cause this.

ABS shrinks significantly when it cools, so if you are printing too hot, the cooling down process as it prints can cause it to buckle and seperate the fine layers of the print. Ideally the cooler you can print the better. 230c really should be enough for any ABS.

The same thing can happen with PLA too, the splitting thing isn't unique to ABS.