Close

Biome3D Biodegradable Filament

Today at the TCT show, Biome Bioplastics unveiled a new biodegradable, environmentally friendly thermoplastic called Biome3D. The filament which is created in partnership with 3Dom Filaments promises to offer superior print quality as well as a superior printing performance. The filament will be offered in 7 colors, and in both 1.75mm and 3mm diameters. More details on Biome3D filaments can be found here: http://3dprint.com/17225/biome3d-filament

Below is an actual print with the green biodegradable filament. If you have used this filament, don't be shy. Let's see some picture of your prints!

So it's basically PLA with a probably higher pricetag and a fancy name?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Well i had a long chat to the woman who developed the filament and I've got a decent length sample in a nice orange colour.

Got to say the printed samples had a really pleasant feel to them that was pla like while being different. IT's quite silky and apparently more flexible than standard pla.
    I did try and get her to tell me exactly how it was made - but alas if she'd told me, she'd have had to kill me (her words :-) - so I didn't find out.

I'll let you know when I've tried printing something with it :-)

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I really like this material as an alternative to PLA. It is clearly different. It is slightly more flexible, feels softer, silkier indeed, and there is less showing of layer stepping. Also it prints more smoothly than PLA in my experience so far. Therefore for most applications, where part strength is less of an issue, I would prefer this material over PLA. The colors are nice too. Another difference is that this material is derived not from sugarcane or starch but from plants - although they don't state which one.