Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Technician
    Follow Serena On Twitter
    Yay! So exciting, isn't it?! I've had mine about two weeks now and I still get giddy every time a print finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Serena View Post
    Yay! So exciting, isn't it?! I've had mine about two weeks now and I still get giddy every time a print finishes.
    It sure is, and how easy to get started?

I've been scared of getting into 3d printing as I feared I would get stuck trying. But it just works, and combined with Simplify 3D it's really easy.

My first prints with black PLA:

20141010_085012(0).jpg
    Last edited by Stigern; 10-10-2014 at 01:52 AM.

Technician
    Follow Serena On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
    It sure is, and how easy to get started?

I've been scared of getting into 3d printing as I feared I would get stuck trying. But it just works, and combined with Simplify 3D it's really easy.

My first prints with black PLA:

20141010_085012(0).jpg
    Very nice! Yeah simplify3d helps especially when you are new and you just want to use defaults to get started. My new thinking on my printer is that it's not hard per say, just finnicky. Lots of tweaking and testing involved. I kinda like that though. Makes getting a great print feel like a big accomplishment! ;-)

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    @stigern - where did you get the files for those clips - Been looking for them.
    I suspect they're on thingiverse, I just don't seem to be entering in what other people have called them :-)

And yeah I think when you have to work a little harder to get the prints right there's more satisfaction in the final result.

Printed some black and decker workmate plugs for my mate this week. I could have just downloaded the file from thingiverse. But was much more satisfying to make my own models in openscad. Took about half an hour. But they are fully configurable. Which a downloaded .stl file would not be.
    And I've got better idea of what the hull command can do now as well :-)

That to me is the real thrill of 3d printing. Just pulling something out of your head and making it solid.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-11-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Last edited by Stigern; 10-13-2014 at 03:40 PM.

I have had my printer a week or two now, I have had some good luck with PLA but had some issues with ABS, Clogged nozzles, inconsistent feeds, etc.
    I bought a lic. for Simplify3D, My computer is slow and the increase in speed of generating the gcode and x3g files is noticable. Thinking about ordering some other types of materials, maybe something that specifically for support. Suggestions would be apprecaited.
    Any suggestions on s/w that will allow you to take a 2D image like a logo and give it some depth to print desk nicnak would be helpful as well

I like Colorfabbs PLA filament, also had great luck with 3DPrimas PLA

Technician
    Follow Serena On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeDuck View Post
    I have had my printer a week or two now, I have had some good luck with PLA but had some issues with ABS, Clogged nozzles, inconsistent feeds, etc.
    I bought a lic. for Simplify3D, My computer is slow and the increase in speed of generating the gcode and x3g files is noticable. Thinking about ordering some other types of materials, maybe something that specifically for support. Suggestions would be apprecaited.
    Any suggestions on s/w that will allow you to take a 2D image like a logo and give it some depth to print desk nicnak would be helpful as well

ABS seems to be a little more tricky than PLA for needing tweaks. I have found that it needs consistent heat, so the enclosed casing is helpful. Make sure the bed is at least 110c I usually put extruder between 226-230c. If it's not sticking good or moving around during print try using a raft. And make sure your bed is really well leveled. Other than those tips it's kinda trial and error. Good luck!

Trying to print that Marvin keychain figure, can't seem to make it stop warping:

MarvinPLA.jpg
    PLA 205C Extruder & 55C BED (glass)

This is also with a 120mm fan on the side of the platform blowing into the case/bed.

Any ideas?

I had some heat on when I started doing PLA, had the best luck with blue tape and do not heat the bed at all for PLA,
    I also had to increase the temp of the nozzle to 220 on one of the colors I was using.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast