Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ah, I just recently found out Simplify 3D can export directly to .x3g format

JohnA136:

50 microns, thats 0.05mm? would not be possible to do with the Creator Pro ?
    Very nice looking print

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Yep, simplify 3d does. It doesn't exactly say X3G export, but when you do the gcode export it also creates the .x3g file. A little confusing but it works none the less...

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Dargonfly View Post
    Hijacking this topic: That is amazing. Can you perhaps post your settings? I cannot get ABS to print at a layer thickness lower then 0.2mm.

[/COLOR]

My bed is bent the other way around; the center is closer then the edges allowing edges to easily 'come off' at the start of the print. But I know how to deal with it now for PLA. ABS still is a bit trickier because it wants to warp more.
    ergh yeah I see now, If my centre was the high point, the sides of all my prints would lift for sure too, but since the centre is the low point (whole bed is bowed) the outer edges stick fine. I must admit tho, I have been favoring the Kossel for printing recently, and for the fact it has the glass plate. I have a glass bed for my flashforge but it needs to be cut, just too big and it sticks out the front, dangerous with kids running around.

@John, WOW that' an awesome print! I can't get my flashforge to under 0.1, mind sharing your secrets??

So, I ordered a little of each type of filament I felt an interest in. But mostly PLA and ABS. Then some copper, wood, and other special filaments. Really excited about the wood and copper filaments, but I'll start with PLA first

How do people store their filament when not using it?

I followed a guide I found where he put rice in a plastic container, this only to keep the moisture at a lower level. Then stored it in a dark and chill space. I did some changes, I swapped the rice with Silica Desiccant. Then added a Wifi cam and a humidity display, just so I could check up on the moist levels, I was curious to see how low it would get. Was 58% when I closed the lid, now a few days later its 26%

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
    So, I ordered a little of each type of filament I felt an interest in. But mostly PLA and ABS. Then some copper, wood, and other special filaments. Really excited about the wood and copper filaments, but I'll start with PLA first

How do people store their filament when not using it?

I followed a guide I found where he put rice in a plastic container, this only to keep the moisture at a lower level. Then stored it in a dark and chill space. I did some changes, I swapped the rice with Silica Desiccant. Then added a Wifi cam and a humidity display, just so I could check up on the moist levels, I was curious to see how low it would get. Was 58% when I closed the lid, now a few days later its 26%
    It depends where you live, I used to store it in containers as I was in pretty damp environment, here in the country where it is fairly warm and dry, I actually just leave them out now.

I know some people here will cringe, but I have to be honest, I have had rolls sitting here for now 25 months + that have barely been used (ABS) and they show absolutely no signs of swelling and are uniform on a 10 metre diameter test.

PLA however, I do have some PLA that was left out in the open for about a year that has started to form small bulb shapes in it, every meter or so, what caused this I don't know, but yeah it's pretty done for now.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep I am currently keeping most in sealable bags with a silicon drying bag.

But I tend to leave one roll of filament on the back of the printer for long period of time and I've had zero issues with pla and abs. Nylon 618, yeah that sucker needs to be kept dry. In fact before I stuck it in the sealed bag last time I left it in my dehydrator for 8 hours to really sort the sod out.

But on the whole abs and pla - unless you live in a very humid environment - you can probably just stack it in a corner somewhere.

0.05 is doable - just make sure you calibrate really tight.

I can't really see the point, but it's doable.

So, storing PLA/ABS etc would benefit from a higher temperature?
    I'm now storing it in a basement, around 20C. I guess with the same air humidity I would benefit from keeping it at 25C maybe?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
    So, storing PLA/ABS etc would benefit from a higher temperature?
    I'm now storing it in a basement, around 20C. I guess with the same air humidity I would benefit from keeping it at 25C maybe?
    One would imagine anything 25c and under would be pretty safe, unfortunately where I live we go from a standard 25c and on a hot day its 30c, most summer days are 38c - 40c and at the absolute worst 44-45c that we have had here, and I have to admit that had me a little worried for my filament, luckily it is very low humidity here or I'd be in real trouble.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    actually no.

If there's humidity then the warmer the temperature the more water the filament will absorb. On account of the filament expanding with the heat and opening up the pores that absorb the water.
    Dry and cool would be best. But a sealed plastic bag in any environemnt works best :-)
    3dfilaprint send you the storage bags with the filament. Which is good of them :-)

That said winter's coming up and in england that pretty much means damp until june.
    I've had zero issues with humidity and abs and pla.
    Don't think it's as big an issue as people say - plus the filament industry has moved amazingly fast in the last 12 months and even the cheap ebay filament is pretty much decent quality now.

Got my printer up and running!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast