Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well the 3dp bed coating was a definite windup.
    I'm wondering just how many people came away from the show and wiped their build plate down with beer !
    Yeah i know, but they were very persuasive and it was a cohesive effort across the whole team.

I tried it twice - so they definitely got me :-)

My biggest problem with blue tape and pla is getting LESS stick !
    Think I might be getting there. I've de-calibrated slightly and lowered the pla temp to the point where any lower and it won't stick at all.

For designing I love openscad. I can't draw, never could, never will.
    But I do have very good visualisation and 3d perception. So I know what i want and where I want it and openscad lets me just tell it what I want and where to put it.

It can look a little disconcerting at first. But once you realise the syntax is the same no matter what - you just get used to sticking in the brackets and the rest is basic arithmetic.

You can make something simple like an open topped box with three lines of basic code. Takes about 30 seconds. try that in a gui cad package.

The more you use it, the easier it is to do complicated things. Some of the most complex models on thingiverse are done in openscad.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-06-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well the 3dp bed coating was a definite windup.
    I'm wondering just how many people came away from the show and wiped their build plate down with beer !
    Yeah i know, but they were very persuasive and it was a cohesive effort across the whole team.

I tried it twice - so they definitely got me :-)

My biggest problem with blue tape and pla is getting LESS stick !
    Think I might be getting there. I've de-calibrated slightly and lowered the pla temp to the point where any lower and it won't stick at all.

But I do have very good visualisation and 3d perception. So I know what i want and where I want it and openscad lets me just tell it what I want and where to put it.

It can look a little disconcerting at first. But once you realise the syntax is the same no matter what - you just get used to sticking in the brackets and the rest is basic arithmetic.

You can make something simple like an open topped box with three lines of basic code. Takes about 30 seconds. try that in a gui cad package.

The more you use it, the easier it is to do complicated things. Some of the most complex models on thingiverse are done in openscad.
    Openscad still escapes me lol sorry, even thou by nature I am an old school programmer, when it comes to modelling I find it very hard to go from a visual design perspective to a mathematical one. After 5 years of blender, I know all my metrics, I know which machines and what software screws up those metrics (like makerware reduces ALL models by 0.8% scale when printing. keep that in mind) so I sort have been sticking with Blender and RepG/makerware/pronterface

For PLA not to stick, that's wierd, how hot is your bed? i'd even try turning it off completely.

OpenScad Rocks! (But somebody needs to fix the render engine. The stupid thing takes forever to do its thing.)

Technician
    Follow Serena On Twitter
    I think the two of us put together would be the perfect designer. I love to draw and am very visual. I resent anything that makes me do math. In terms of working with software-If I can't see it than it doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Openscad still escapes me lol sorry, even thou by nature I am an old school programmer, when it comes to modelling I find it very hard to go from a visual design perspective to a mathematical one. After 5 years of blender, I know all my metrics, I know which machines and what software screws up those metrics (like makerware reduces ALL models by 0.8% scale when printing. keep that in mind) so I sort have been sticking with Blender and RepG/makerware/pronterface

For PLA not to stick, that's wierd, how hot is your bed? i'd even try turning it off completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    OpenScad Rocks! (But somebody needs to fix the render engine. The stupid thing takes forever to do its thing.)
    It's always interesting to me how differently people go about similar tasks. The beauty is there is so many software options out there everyone can find something that works for them. The down side to that is when you are new to it all, the researching and finding what you like is so overwhelming. Too many choices! Geoff sounds like you and I think much the same on modeling. I definitely like to find what works and gives me the visuals I want and then stick to it. I just hate my choppy workflow at the moment. But it will come in time... What I've learned so far is that half the battle is knowing the questions to ask (Or google). When I say "texture" i think of surface changes- physical highs and lows on the surface. I'm learning that in 3d modeling texture means an applied material that simulates the look of texture but doesn't effect the actual geometry in any way. I spent many hours learning some great techniques that will only show up on 3d renders but would be non existent in printing. (This may be majorly stating the obvious to you guys- but it's something that was so hard for me to find explained anywhere!) Sigh....So today my project is learning displacement maps on Blender. Since that seems to be the only way I've found to get what I'm looking for. If anyone has any insight on that I would be most grateful.

Also, on to actual printing-so I had this strange result. Wondered if anyone can tell me what the heck happened with this print:
    Photo Oct 07, 9 10 44 AM.jpg

It's an ampersand that I did with no infill, 0.1mm height and 2 shells. My first time using no infill-Is that why the top layer turned out like this? When I look at the slicing it looks solid.

The problem is without any infill, it had a hard time bridging the large gaps. In Slic3r, you could bump the number of top layers up to something like 10. Because with what you have right now, another 4 or 5 top layers would have been able to bridge those openings completely.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    or just use 5% infill and it'll have something to bridge across.
    Hollow things are usually things with curves, not usually things with large flat areas.
    Also without active cooling you'll get more sag and less bridge.

For the sake of adding a couple grams infill, and a little extra printing time - but getting a perfect model every time. I usually add the infill.

Anyway talking of prints that blow you away. And to prove to myself that I've got the pla settings nailed down. I printed a chainmail bracelet. Designed in openscad :-)
    Not by me - I'm a long way from being able to do this.

Zoomed in

Flexible

Fully Working catch.

Second one being printed, just to prove I can do it again :-)

There's a bit of support on the tongue of the catch that needs removing. Sharp knife and a file did that.
    And viola. If you know anyone who's not blown away by your 3d printer - show them this and I guarentee they will be !

My less stick pla basically devolved down to extrusion temp.
    Keep lowering it till it doesn't stick and then add a few degrees till it does. Job done.
    This came off pretty easily.
    Only takes an hour to print.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:399474/#files

The one I printed is the small one - I'll do the big one next. I have pretty thick wrists (officially large bones - I looked it up).
    This small one should do most women and kids. The big one is another 3 inches or so in length.

Oh yeah - one word of caution. This took makerware a number of hours to slice. I don't know how many I went to bed and left it to it.

I'll try the same thing on simplify3d later and see how much faster it is. Not that much I don't think.
    We'll see.

Oh yeah print settings.
    60mms, 0.27 layer (what it says to do it at) 190 temp and 50c bed temp.

I know I don't need to heat the bed with pla - but making it warm keeps all the variables as samey as possible for consistent results.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-07-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Very Cool!!!!! I bet you can feel the individual links break free when you bend it the first time!

UPDATE: It takes hours to compile and render in Open_SCAD. I guess the Slic3r will take a similar amount of time.
    Last edited by Roxy; 10-07-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Nice looking print there

Just amazing! Didn't know that was possible.

Technician
    Follow Serena On Twitter
    or just use 5% infill and it'll have something to bridge across.
    Hollow things are usually things with curves, not usually things with large flat areas.
    Also without active cooling you'll get more sag and less bridge.

For the sake of adding a couple grams infill, and a little extra printing time - but getting a perfect model every time. I usually add the infill.
    I know I don't need to heat the bed with pla - but making it warm keeps all the variables as samey as possible for consistent results.
    That bracelet is totally cool! Wow I will have to try one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    The problem is without any infill, it had a hard time bridging the large gaps. In Slic3r, you could bump the number of top layers up to something like 10. Because with what you have right now, another 4 or 5 top layers would have been able to bridge those openings completely.
    Thanks to you both on the infill feedback. I figured that was probably it. I tried it again on 20 infill and a little smaller so I could test it quicker and it worked good. Will try it bigger again and make sure.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Serena View Post
    That bracelet is totally cool! Wow I will have to try one of those!

Thanks to you both on the infill feedback. I figured that was probably it. I tried it again on 20 infill and a little smaller so I could test it quicker and it worked good. Will try it bigger again and make sure.
    Remember if you are using makerware especially, the infill is across the entire model on the build plate.

Example...

lets say you print an entire chess set on one plate, all pieces, in one print and you set it to 10% infill.

It's not going to infill each chess piece at 10%. It is going to fill the entire plate at a 10% ratio, so some pieces will be completely hollow, and some might have infill.. some might have alot, a little, or none.. depending on where they are placed on the bed.

So imagine that chainmail is a chess set, too low infill and you will find some links get none, and some do.

However, if you print 1 single item and set it to %10 infill, that item gets the entire %10 infill. The chainmail I'd be doing at 3 shells, or 50% infill, because at 3 shells it omits the infill because the links are thick enough.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast