Close

Threaded View

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    IIRC, dacb took on the challenge of migrating ABL and the enhanced G29 code from uncontrolled baselines into a significantly more recent Marlin version than the MakerFarm distribution, adding in the right configuration parameters and the perplexing MakerFarm manipulation of the Type 6 thermistor data, and demonstrating the build would still work under a newer version of the Arduino IDE.

I wouldn't mind a recap of the MakerFarm specific parts we're talking about having to merge back in. Aren't we really only talking about configuration.h details like the combination of display type, bed size, etc.? The need for the revised Type 6 thermistor data table has been resolved by just specifying Type 1 thermistors instead. The code changes to ABL and enhanced G29 are generic, as I understand my monitoring from the ABL sidelines. Maybe there's a need to deal with pin mapping for the ABL servo, but I view that as being driven by using RAMPS, not for being a MakerFarm printer. Am I forgetting other changes?

Once we have the fork merged back into the main, we're still going to be left with people having to adapt configuration.h to work for them. I doubt there's ever going to be a way around that. For any of us that have done it, yes it's a pretty straightforward thing to do. But for most people new to Marlin and Arduino, the first time can be pretty overwhelming. Maybe at some point we can get by with a sticky that lists the settings needed for each of the common MakerFarm printers. The sticky could also be maintained to note what Marlin version has been demonstrated to work on different MakerFarm printer types (anticipating that RAMPS vs RAMBO and the graphics panel configurations may not always be tested by MakerFarm owners at the same time).

I still like the idea of a block of ifdefs for configuration.h where once you say you have like an i3v-8, it sets the lower level stuff up for you. That could be a block of text included in the sticky that gets pasted into configuration.h above the motherboard selection. Of course, by the time you explain how to do that and explain editing the type of MakerFarm printer you have, it's not much harder to just say here are the 3 or 4, or 8 or whatever settings that need to be set for that printer type. I don't like the idea have having different configuration.h files for people to use - that'd just lead to more configuration control work. What are the printers we'd address? i3, i3v-8, i3v-10, i3v-12? ABL and non-ABL and we're already at 8 files to maintain.

EDIT: Sorry about the long post - I just want to make sure we take care of the new people, who need the help the most. People who have been around a while will already know what to do, and will already likely be off doing their own thing anyway.
    Last edited by printbus; 12-23-2014 at 09:22 AM.