Close

creator x stops printing

hi it has sailfish and using makeware with sd card reloaded firmware after first time stopped in middle of print got 4 good ones then happened again ?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspeed186 View Post
    hi it has sailfish and using makeware with sd card reloaded firmware after first time stopped in middle of print got 4 good ones then happened again ?
    Are you printing from the SD card or the pc?

Yes SD card screen reads correctly with temp and how much done

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspeed186 View Post
    Yes SD card screen reads correctly with temp and how much done
    ooerr.. thats pretyt odd, happens to me the other way around sometimes, so I print of SD card to ensure it doesnt happen..

The only thing I can think of from the top my head..

1. Does it happen on all prints, at a similar point? no matter what the model?
    2. Does it happen to only one particular STL file?
    i.e you said you got 4 good prints then it happened again, was it the same model that worked OK 4 times? or did you print something else then come back to it?

3. Have you tried replicator G's Gcode instead? I find it runs better off the SD card, makerwares Gcode only seems properly readable by ..well.. Makerware.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    might be worth doing a full scan and then reformatting the card as well. Could be a a dodgy sector or two on it.

Have to admit I've mever had any issues printing makerware x3g files of the sd card.

I'd check the card first.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    might be worth doing a full scan and then reformatting the card as well. Could be a a dodgy sector or two on it.

Have to admit I've mever had any issues printing makerware x3g files of the sd card.

I'd check the card first.
    they are alot more transparent when they fail than a hard disk tho, he would have been seeing issues even just trying to write to it if there was a problem at all.

He did say the X3G file runs fine from the card and has momemtary lapses from the same file, it works, then it doesnt. If it works at all, wouldn't that indicate the file and SD card is ok and there is something else we need to look at?
    I can think of 50 things I would be running through, including seeing what other components are getting hot on the board.

The mainboards are cheap, lets be honest. I have blown them by accident without even opening the machine. I was moving an endstop to fit a glass plate and I somehow touched one of the terminals of the endstop on the horizontal 5mm alumin bar that runs across the back of the machine to run the Y axis - now not sure how or why, since it should be grounded well and truly with the rubber pulleys) this in turn shorted out a resistor on my mainboard (i saw the screen flicker when it happened, and thought I had moved a stepper, which would generate the same current and light the screen up for a second) but no, I shorted a resistor out, which then killed the endstop inputs completely, board gone.
    Last edited by Geoff; 09-25-2014 at 05:37 PM.

lol and the noral of that story is: unplug electronics before you mess with them :-)

Memory cards can have duff and hard to read areas - just like hard drives.

Question - is the printer running for the same length of time when it stops ?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    lol and the noral of that story is: unplug electronics before you mess with them :-)

Memory cards can have duff and hard to read areas - just like hard drives.

Question - is the printer running for the same length of time when it stops ?
    Mate, I am one of those people that unfortunately just thinks of something and does it... like the other day im swapping my head over the old extruder to print flex .... the machine was on, fans spinning... I have swapped heads many times while its all hot and running, my screw driver clipped a fan and broke 2 blades... luckily I wear glasses or I'd be 'stevie wondering' my way around the printer now haha...

So yes, I don't disagree... turn machine off before messing with

re the Sd card failure, Yeah the point in which the job fails is pretty important, I am waiting for his reply to my other questions..

ie.
    1. Does it happen on all prints, at a similar point? no matter what the model?
    2. Does it happen to only one particular STL file?
    i.e you said you got 4 good prints then it happened again, was it the same model that worked OK 4 times? or did you print something else then come back to it?

you change stuff with it on and hot ?
    lol
    After blowing up a plug and melting a part of my screwdriver a few years ago (bizarrely the psu and motherboard were untouched. Fuse in the plug was just melted bits of black glass.) - I even switch pc's off (mostly) when I'm working in them these days :-)