Close

Orbit 1 - Coats 3D Prints with Metal

Monolith Studio is going to open up a whole new world of fun in 3D printing with the Orbit 1, which basically allows the user on a budget to bypass worrying about purchasing or finding an outlet for a 3D metal printer. The Orbit 1 allows the 3D printing enthusiast to dip their 3D-printed object in the metal of their choice--gold, copper, nickel, or lead--and then immerse it in the Orbit 1 where it spins in a metal solution, coating it to the user's satisfaction. The device, which will be on Kickstarter in January of 2015 and should retail for $3,000 to $4,000, also doubles as a device for making electronics. Many different materials can be coated with Orbit 1's 'Go-Plating.' More details on this product can be found here: http://3dprint.com/16236/orbit-1-3d-printed-gold

Below is a picture of the Orbit 1:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Not sure that $3-4000 is aimed at either the home user or anyone on a budget.

Small businesses - yes - home user on a budget ? - no.

I'd be more interested in just the solutions. I could knock up my own tank and electrodes.

You basically need one solution to coat the print in conductive material and then a solution of metal ions to electroplate your model with.

So forget the machine - it's the solutions I'd be interested in.

The machine has a real interest for me. But to justify the 3k€, they'd have to provide a hell of a product. I've been looking into doing some plating on my own and so far the BOM was under 15% of that for basic tools and starter consumables. Perhaps they can provide something truly out of space that makes it worth it but I'll need convincing.

Or for much less there's plating pens. Still paint with conductive paint but then use the small solution pen to plate it. I've been planning on implementing this for months with my business, just waiting on my Form 1+ to be shipped... Hilco (optical supplier) has been asking this for years to replate glasses:

http://bt.e-ditionsbyfry.com/magazine/index.php?i=117349&m=&l=&p=185&pre=&ver=swf#{"page ":185,"issue_id":117349}

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    My wife stresses about the fish tank leaking... no chance I'm getting one of those in my house :/