Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

The Imura Revolver 3D Printed Gun

Remember back a few months when a Japanese man was arrested for owning several 3D printed guns? Well, his legacy lives on, because a group called FOSSCAD is developing a revolver which is somewhat similar to Imura's Zig-Zag 3D printed gun, but is double action. They are calling it the Imura Revolver. The designs are coming along well, and the first parts are being printed out. More details on this new gun can be found here: http://3dprint.com/15556/3d-printable-gun-revolver/

Here is the CAd model for a part of the Imura Revolver. Opinions?

Why is it every design uses a .38 caliber shell? It would seem other random sizes would be used?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well the only ammo you can easily get in the uk is .22 - and you need a firearms licence for that.

I presume .38 is cheap and widely used - certainly in the states. And I guess it's easier to kill someone with a .38 than with a .22.
    There's no other point to a 3d printed pistol than up close killing of people.

Senior Engineer
    I think the main reason is technical challenge personally. I can't believe that so many people want to kill someone.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    there's no real technical challenge. It's a simple mechanism and as long as you're sensible enough to use a metal barrel - no major risk either (it'll probably still break, but shouldn't kill you).

There are soooo many things that could do with a decent design, that really would be a challenge that making inaccurate and dangerous to the user hand guns is somewhat pointless.

I can see where it might be useful for criminals in the states where you can buy ammunition at your local corner shop (maybe not all states) and to make a gun where you can't trace the rifling marks on the barrel would be useful - again mainly to criminals.

But why are the japanese getting involved ?

Student
    Hello everyone. I'm the designer of the firearm seen here. Keep in mind that this firearm has not been tested yet as it is one of the most complex prints FOSSCAD has attempted to date.

--Why is it every design uses a .38 caliber shell? It would seem other random sizes would be used?

This actually uses .22 Long Rifle. It is the most common cartridge on the planet, and only requires a single diameter of pipe to be used as the chamber and barrel sleeve. The caliber was chosen for its low power, low price per round, and simplicity in design.

--There's no other point to a 3d printed pistol than up close killing of people.

The point of 3D printing different firearms is to see what is possible more than anything. We have proven that single shot firearms are at least partially feasible in nearly 100% printed form. We have made AR-15 lowers that function for an acceptable length of time to take to a range for some target shooting. The next step was to make a semi automatic pistol. Unfortunately, with the pressures involved, there is no way to make a repeating pistol able to extract spent casings from the chamber of a fully printed barrel. The effect is somewhere between plastic flow and vacuum lock between the expanded casing and the plastic chamber wall. The solution was to use a steel chamber sleeve, but without a steel extractor, the issue still remained as to how to cycle the firearm. With Imura's design (Which was based off the Webley-Fossbery), we found the solution. That was the point to this. We wanted to solve an engineering problem that included both machine design and material properties in the core issue. I believe we have done so, but testing will tell. I'll save the ethics question for the end of this post.

--I can see where it might be useful for criminals in the states where you can buy ammunition at your local corner shop (maybe not all states) and to make a gun where you can't trace the rifling marks on the barrel would be useful - again mainly to criminals.

Its really not. The amount of effort that goes into getting a printer calibrated to the level useful for firearms parts is not insignificant or quick. Getting printed parts to an acceptable surface finish isn't trivial, and finally, there are far, far more effective weapons available for cheaper than the cost of even the most basic 3D printer. Quite simply, a 3D printed firearm would be the most circuitous and difficult path to obtaining a firearm in the US, whether acquiring a firearm legally or illegally.

--fully 3D printed plastic guns will never be practical unless ammunition is specially made for them, and that's just not going to happen.

We're workin on it. Initial tests have been discouraging, but we'll see what happens.

--Hopefully the person that designed and printed it is the first to experience it backfiring and exploding terribly in his hand, and not some kid that downloaded the design

I truly hope that doesn't happen. I've done as much as I can to make this firearm as safe as a 3D printed pistol in .22 long rifle can be. There is a significant amount of material between the user and all common failure points on a revolver of this sort, and there have been several updates to the design with safety in mind. I have made sure that the guy that is printing and testing this is using every possible precaution, including testing the first several cylinders worth of ammunition from behind cover with a remote trigger. I have no intention of letting anyone be harmed by one of my designs, and if it does not work, I'll continue to modify the design or abandon the project.

Now, as promised, the ethics of all this. Its been said here and countless other places that these things have the single purpose of killing, and that's simply not true. None of us that design these firearms want to see anyone harmed with them. We do this to push the limit of the materials and machines we have access to so that we know afterwards what works and what doesn't. We're not monsters, we're hobbyists. Personally, I hope that no 3D printed firearm is ever used in a crime, or truly anywhere but a safe environment at a range with proper and full precautions taken. They're design exercises undertaken by people like me to create something new using concepts from all over the spectrum.

I hope this post at least helps understand where we're coming from and why we do what we do. If you have any questions, concerns, or even just want to call me names for a while, feel free to contact me at www.fosscad.org/fc/chat . We welcome all, and will answer any questions you have as well as we can. I hope to talk to some of you more extensively.
    Last edited by WarFairy; 09-23-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Staff Engineer
    3D printed guns are a moot point in the US partially because getting a gun legally is so easy in most states, and in the ones where it isn't it is very easy to get them illegally. I'm wondering also why they went with the .38 caliber rather than the more common .22, .44, or 9mm.

The point of the 3D printed pistol is to say it exists, people on both sides of the gun control debate are leveraging the possible existence of home-made guns to push their agendas in one way or another. Of course, once something gets this much buzz, there's an inevitable crowd of people who jump on it with a "me too" attitude to get some media attention by re-designing it to call it their own (this would be where the Japanese are getting in on things).

fully 3D printed plastic guns will never be practical unless ammunition is specially made for them, and that's just not going to happen.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Hopefully the person that designed and printed it is the first to experience it backfiring and exploding terribly in his hand, and not some kid that downloaded the design :/

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Hopefully the person that designed and printed it is the first to experience it backfiring and exploding terribly in his hand, and not some kid that downloaded the design :/
    I hope neither happens.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I hope neither happens.
    I hope neither happens also, I am sorry for actually insinuating that it would actually occur - it's just a subject I am not a fan of.

I am not opposed to guns at all, it's not really something we have a massive problem with in Australia due to the tight legislation of firearms, but it's clear in other parts of the world, the last thing they need is more guns.

@ WarFairy
    While I appreciate your design, and I understand the theory of designing it purely to see if "it is possible" but to me, it's as backwards as reverting from the wagon wheel to the stone cart.

I feel like giving 20 cents here, but I'll just give you my 2c I won't go into caliber and other nitpicky things, I have not had experience with many types of guns, but I know what a .22 is like and honestly, unless pointed a metre from my face, it wouldn't worry me all that much.

Humans have been designing, engineering and killing people with projectile weapons for centuries - this is nothing really new. Whether it's for self defense or more sinister circumstances, the fact still remains this is not a new thing.

3D printing is a relatively new thing in comparison - so what I wonder constantly is, why are people wasting their time making old things with it?

Sure make a replica of something, sure make a replacement for something old, or reproduce an old piece of Art or sculpture... but if I were to put myself in the position of someone who would be inclined to actually make firearms, would it not be cooler to actually invent something, oh.. I don't know... something that's actually new?

We always rave on about how things like Star Trek spawned waves of technological advances, touch screens, smart phones, ipads, mobiles... and of course Replicators.

If we are going to persue avenues like creating weapons, whether for recreation, harm or purely the "Can We?" factor, can't we focus on actually inventing something new? create bullets that don't need explosive charges? Rail gun tech?

Embedding metallic or magnetic properties into filament? etc... so many avenues no one is bothering to really go down, instead we are simply recreating the wheel (not even re-inventing it)

So while yes,I am opposed to people actually making guns with 3D printers, which to me gives them a bad reputation, and no, making futuristic guns wouldn't give it a much better reputation but at least it would be at the cost of being revolutionary.

Making a stock gun on a 3D printer isnt revolutionary, it's re-duplicating.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast