Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Raspberry Pi to run Peach Printer?

Does anyone know if it would be possible to run Peach Printer on the Raspberry Pi? Reason I ask is because I have backed the printer, but now want to know if it will work on my Pi.

Randy

Student
    I think so. Rylan told me that, right now, it doesn't work because the volume is too low. I think he's planning on some circuitry to mitigate this and a few other compatibility issues. Just fiy, nothing official.

Yes. You will be able to hack it as you want. I dont know the exact Microcontroler used in the "Pro" version, but you will be able to download the software from the website.

Engineer-in-Training
    James Cooper, software dev for peachy, posted this:

"
    In terms of designing a way to drive it with other hardware, what I can tell you is that we are designing to work with the output from a computer audio jack, so we are designing within constraints of 8-32 ohm output impedance, maybe as little as 300mV RMS output voltage, 16-bit DACs, and 44KHz sampling rates (with an effective upper audio frequency of about 20KHz). We're also working on circuits to allow us to work with AC-coupled outputs, so the bandwidth could be more like 100Hz-20KHz. Our current design uses the direct voltage to position the mirrors (like moving the needle in a voltmeter), but to handle AC coupling we'll have to modulate that on some sort of carrier.
    Basically, if your circuit can drive 300mV RMS into 32 ohms at up to 20KHz, it should be capable of driving the Peachy Printer. Beyond that, our software will already be handling generating the appropriate waveforms."

Anything with a decent headphone jack and blender!

Go embedded hardware and Linux!

I'm setting up a Beaglebone Black (Ninjablocks software) to be used for it also
    Use VNC to view the GUI

Peachy Printer Software Guru
    The Raspberry Pi itself won't be able to run Blender (something about not having the full OpenGL support needed), but it should be able to run the rest of the utilities. You should be able to use it to control the Peachy Printer.

Thanks for the info on OpenGL - You are correct
    I'm hoping that the OMAP boards can - I do still plan to use OMAP hardware - I want to use OpenPanodra, has brilliant audio hardware.

My Ninjablock idea has 'failed' - Not happy with it right now.

Getting my RasPI on the peachy was also my first idea...! I think it's hard to tell as they haven't even fixed the protocol (AM / FM) for the peachy yet, have they?

Ocko

I hadn't thought about the OpenPandora! That would make a nice little controller for the printer..

@Kingoddball - I thought I recognised that avatar, couldn't place it until you mentioned the Pandy

Engineer-in-Training
    Ocko, pretty sure they are committed to AM. Check this video, starting at 5:45. https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=r5NLyc3FlZ0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast