Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

swimming laserbase

Hi,

while i watched the update 13 video, i got a little question.
    Is it possible to mount the laser on a swimming base?
    With this, the distance between the fluid and the laser would be always the same.

Technologist
    The challenge is keeping it in the right orientation. What stops it rotating around the job or floating off to one side? Any sort of rail system adds complexity, cost, and friction. For a good print you need both the Peachy and the job to be fixed to solid objects, and if one of them is floating then that's an issue.

Realistically, for the standard Peachy, that probably won't happen - with a sub-$100 budget there's not a whole lot of space for extra hardware. For the fancy version (Peachy Pro) I gather that they're automatically refocusing the laser to deal with this problem.

I could see this being done with a multi-legged mount with foam ends sitting in low friction guide tubes (lube?) inside the build tank. That way as the water raised it would also raise the printer evenly (once the printers weight is overcome by the legs buoyancy). Since the mounts and tanks are not in the $100 version i'd be surprised if someone doesn't try this in their custom build TBH. Maybe one of the beta's can give it a shot ;-). Seems like a pretty cool idea to me Synchron.

If the buildtank has corners and isnt a perfect circle the first print could be “corner boats“ on which the laser unit stands. (Only an idea, i have no idea how much the stand would weight...)

Engineer-in-Training
    I think Spelljammer's design is great.

i think the biggest problem would be here, that the riser gets jammed (? deutsch: verkantet) with the guides...
    maybe this could be solved by 4 guide rollers wich are pressed to the guide bars.

@ Anuvin
    WHERE do you see this design from Spelljammer ?????

We could also barrow from other 3D printing technologies and use the rails from something like a delta printer to have smoother movement between the supports/guides and the riser.

@ NahojjohaN thank you, i have not take a look at that multi-resin thread by reprap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast