Close

Makerware Desktop - Has it gotten slower?

Greetings, all.

I've recently loaded Makerware Desktop on the Linux side of my dual-boot laptop - actually, an automatic upgrade didn't give me a choice. Prior to this experience, I found Makerware to be much more pleasant under Linux than under Windows - the slicing was faster, and the user interaction was considerably faster.

However, I'm now thinking I ought to roll back the update. Seat of the pants impression was that the new software, besides stealing screen real estate for branding and Makerbot store buttons, was considerably slower in most operations. This morning, I did some quick measurements with a moderately complex model, using consistent fill and support settings. Each of these is on the same laptop, indicating whether the software was running under Windows or Linux. In every case, I was not using the laptop for anything else while slicing.

Makerbot Desktop v3.2.2.52 - Linux: Slice > 35 minutes
    Slic3r v1.2 - Linux: Slice < 1.5 minutes
    Makerware v2.4.1.24 - Windows: Slice < 7.5 minutes
    Cura v14.01 - Windows: Slice < 1 minute (timed via progress bar)

What's your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by WayTooManyHobbies View Post
    Greetings, all.

I've recently loaded Makerware Desktop on the Linux side of my dual-boot laptop - actually, an automatic upgrade didn't give me a choice. Prior to this experience, I found Makerware to be much more pleasant under Linux than under Windows - the slicing was faster, and the user interaction was considerably faster.

However, I'm now thinking I ought to roll back the update. Seat of the pants impression was that the new software, besides stealing screen real estate for branding and Makerbot store buttons, was considerably slower in most operations. This morning, I did some quick measurements with a moderately complex model, using consistent fill and support settings. Each of these is on the same laptop, indicating whether the software was running under Windows or Linux. In every case, I was not using the laptop for anything else while slicing.

Makerbot Desktop v3.2.2.52 - Linux: Slice > 35 minutes
    Slic3r v1.2 - Linux: Slice < 1.5 minutes
    Makerware v2.4.1.24 - Windows: Slice < 7.5 minutes
    Cura v14.01 - Windows: Slice < 1 minute (timed via progress bar)

What's your experience?
    Same here and i have even more problems... But how can i get the older version back???? When i installed Makerware Desktop 3.2.2 my older Makerware 2.41 disappeared and i don't have the installer i downloaded for that version anymore and i cant find it on the web ANYWHERE... Which is why i joined this forum tonight.

The 3.2.2 is total crap. It took 15 mins to slice and export to SD Card for my Rep 1 Dual, the same object that two days ago took something like 2 mins.

The other problem is when it starts the print and prints the line across the bed to clear the nozzle it crashes the X axis into the left side and starts clunking, i have to shut the printer off to recover. If i load a file off the SD card that was sliced with the previous version it prints no problems whatsoever. So this software seems really really flawed.

Any idea where i can get the older version??

Technologist American 3D Printing's Avatar
    Add American 3D Printing on Facebook Add American 3D Printing on Google+ Add American 3D Printing on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
    Same here and i have even more problems... But how can i get the older version back???? When i installed Makerware Desktop 3.2.2 my older Makerware 2.41 disappeared and i don't have the installer i downloaded for that version anymore and i cant find it on the web ANYWHERE... Which is why i joined this forum tonight.

The 3.2.2 is total crap. It took 15 mins to slice and export to SD Card for my Rep 1 Dual, the same object that two days ago took something like 2 mins.

The other problem is when it starts the print and prints the line across the bed to clear the nozzle it crashes the X axis into the left side and starts clunking, i have to shut the printer off to recover. If i load a file off the SD card that was sliced with the previous version it prints no problems whatsoever. So this software seems really really flawed.

Any idea where i can get the older version??
    Ping me direct and I'll set you up. I have saved a couple of earlier versions of 2.2 and 2.4. Windows only though. I think i may have 32 as well as 64 bit.