Close

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by hernejj View Post
    According to http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/ the pi-2 is completely backwards compatible with the pi-1 . So, in theory, you should be good to go.
    Just to add a clarifying statement: The Pi-1 and Pi2 have different cpus, meaning images pre-compiled for the pi-1 will not work directly on the pi-2.
    http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-...raspberry-pi-2

So you cannot simply grab an OctoPi image and install it on a Pi-2. The above link does give instructions for converting an image to run on the pi. I would expect, from my experiences as a software developer, that it probably will not be as simple as they make it seem. A quick Google search turned up no evidence that anyone is working on porting, although someone must be somewhere.

With all that said, OctoPrint will very likely run without issues on the Pi-2. After all, it is just a piece of software, and the hardware environment is essentially "the same". But if you were hoping for the convenience of OctoPi, it looks like it will take a little more work.

Just to add a clarifying statement: The Pi-1 and Pi2 have different cpus, meaning images pre-compiled for the pi-1 will not work directly on the pi-2.

So you cannot simply grab an OctoPi image and install it on a Pi-2. The above link does give instructions for converting an image to run on the pi. I would expect, from my experiences as a software developer, that it probably will not be as simple as they make it seem. A quick Google search turned up no evidence that anyone is working on porting, although someone must be somewhere.

With all that said, OctoPrint will very likely run without issues on the Pi-2. After all, it is just a piece of software, and the hardware environment is essentially "the same". But if you were hoping for the convenience of OctoPi, it looks like it will take a little more work.

it "should work no matter the CPU, because it runs on the Debian(Raspbian) OS, you may need to compile it from source once Raspbian for PiV2 is released because it's written mostly in javascript/python

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    Yes. That's what I'm doing on both of my printers. It's nice because I can leave the Pi on all the time and power up the printer remotely to start a print. Assuming the Pi is stable, you can also shut down the power to the printer remotely if something goes wrong.
    What size ATX power supply would my printer need to have on it to provide enough power for the 12" printer and the PI?

Technician

Thanks for the reply. Since it's early days for the Pi2 I think I'll wait just a bit to see if there are any compiling issues before I jump. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait rather than getting the B+ now though.

Technologist
    From the developer of OctoPrint:

Gina Häußge originally shared:

So I finally came around to flashing my current custom development version of OctoPi (incl. slicing via Cura and netconnectd) on a MicroSD and test it in the RPi2. I also flashed the exact same image on an equal card (both 8GB MicroSD, Transcend, class 10) and put that in an RPi B.

First of all: the first boot (where it needs to generate the SSL key and all that) is definitely faster. I didn't measure the time, but where it goes something like "wait for it wait for it waiiiiiiit for it" on the old one, it's more like "3, 2, 1, lift-off" on the new one.

Secondly: Slicing. I uploaded and sliced three STLs on both Pis, with results that made me giggle with joy:

STL1: RPi1 => 36.87s, RPi2 => 14.71s, Factor => 2.50
    STL2: RPi1 => 173.85s, RPi2 => 69.55s, Factor => 2.49
    STL3: RPi1 => 16.23s, RPi2 => 5.94s, Factor => 2.73

So slicing on the RPi2 with CuraEngine is about 2.5 times faster on that limited set of tested models.

Third, loading: An uncached reload of the main page (so without the new server side cache I added recently) until after the full handshake with the server through the websocket takes around 16s on the RPi1 and around 8s on the RPi2 - this IS noticable.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtToe View Post
    What size ATX power supply would my printer need to have on it to provide enough power for the 12" printer and the PI?
    The 12V rail needs enough current to drive the printer. I don't know what the requirements are for the 12" bed, but I'm sure it's in Colin's docs.

If you're running the electronics off the 5v line, any ATX power supply will have enough. But if you're running off the 5VSB, I would think you would want at least 2A. 3A would give you some margin for the servo.

I'm running HP server supplies that deliver 7.5A on the 5VSB bus and I recommend that route. They're all over eBay.

Technologist
    I am probably a glutton for punishment, but I ordered the Raspberry Pi model 2 B since MCM electronics had it for $35 & it does seem to run the octoprint. I also ordered the
    5MP Raspberry Pi Camera Board
    Wi-Pi Raspberry Pi 802.11n Wireless Adapter
    5V 2.2A Micro USB Switch Mode Power Adapter
    16Gb Sandisk Ultra MicroSDHC Class 10 Card
    My router is within a couple of feet of the printer, so I did not really need the wireless usb unless I decide to move the printer to another spot in the house. I also ordered a 24" flex cable for the camera from amazon that someone else mentioned. I will see how this goes when the shipment arrives.

Technician
    So I have a Pi B, and need to get a camera, if I buy the raspberry pi cam it won't tie up a sub port, if I go that route and use the two USB ports for the printer and wifi can I run without a powered usb hub?

also used book store has PS3 cams used for $15 but that would require the hub, is that printer just as good as the pi cam?

thanks

Technologist
    I am not sure what your comment "is that printer just as good as the pi cam?" means. I have only hooked this pi to my TV so far & do not have it configured correctly yet. It is nice to have the 4 usb ports. I am using 3 of them with the mouse, keyboard & wireless adapter. One way you could also save a USB plug would be to get a Network extender like the Netgear WiFi Range Extender WN2000RPT. That way you could plug a network cable between the Raspberry Pi & the Range Extender & free up the usb port you are using for the wireless adapter. I am not sure that would be less cost than getting a Raspberry Pi B+ or model 2 though.

now that i have octoprint setup, i use 2 usb ports... 1 for the camera and 1 for the printer everything else is done over the network. i were to resetup my wifi I would be using 3. there isn't necessarily a need to worry about usb port usage. the only real need for a usb hub is if you are using a camera that draws a lot of power. i use a single cell phone usb power adapter with a 1.5 amp raiting, I run the raspberry pi that has the ethernet port the printer and the Logitech C310 webcam all hooked into it with no issues at all.

I don't know what else you might plug into it really. at one point i also had the suggested wifi adapter in use instead of the ethernet port and also had no issues.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast