Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Nectar One 3D Printer - with RichRap on the Team

For those familiar with a guy named Richard Horne, AKA RichRap, he is part of a new 25+ man company called Nectar, which plans to launch a new 3D Printer on Kickstarter called the Nectar One. Very little details have been announced, but they promise for it to be quite the amazing machine. More details will emerge at TCT at the end of this month. Read more at: http://3dprint.com/15781/nectar-one-3d-printer-richrap/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Interesting - and they'll be at tct, so i can see it working and find out why it's not just another big delta :-)

Although I have to say the whole 'mystic' hippy we're all together helping the world print stuff vibe is incredibly annoying .

Tell us more about the Printer…
    In time. We have so much to share with and show you. Plenty of innovation and great ways for you to be more productive.
    That kind of just downright condescending padding, is a bad sign. Most of the failed printers had the same attitude.

I will reserve judgement until tct - but that blog post is so bloody patronising, it's not a good start.

Next time we will meet the rest of the Nectar team, learn more about what’s driving the Nectar One 3D Printer and how you can become a Nectarian too.
    I'm genuinely interested - does anyone care about that kind of stuff ?
    Surely the three most asked questions about a new 3d printer are:

1) what does it do
    2) what does it cost
    3) when can I get one

None of which, by the sound of things will be answered any time soon.
    Learning about the lives and loves of the people who made it wouldn't enter my top 100 questions.

Am i just being a bit too cynical here ? (genuine question)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-18-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Too cynical? Nope, in fact I agree with most everything you're saying.
    Too dismissive maybe.

The company trying to make a personal connection and couching their product in "feel-good rhetoric" is just a part of the Kickstarter Culture (and Open Source as well, the Netar team probably actually believes in it themselves.) rather than any indication that they're specifically looking for impulsive fools willing to part with their money.

I'll also reserve my judgement until I see hard numbers, but I'm not going to judge them on their beliefs. I mean, Larry Page is a guy I probably wouldn't stand to be in a room with for more than a half hour... But I genuinely like Google as a company.