Close

The 3D Printed 'Down Up' Tap

For her graduation project, a Swiss design student created a new dual tap. The Down Up tap, created by Alice Spieser, allows users to wash their hands then take a sip of water. By using a finger to block the hole for the lower tap, a user forces the water flow toward the upper tap where it arcs into a fountain. Sippers can quench their thirst without the acrobatics some drinking fountains require. The tap design is in the running for the James Dyson Award. Check out the full article: http://3dprint.com/22784/down-up-tap-drinking-fountain/

Below is a photo of the Down Up tap in action:

Technician
    In order to make this work you're essentially having people contaminate the faucet head every time they want a drink. Worst idea ever...

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by brbubba View Post
    In order to make this work you're essentially having people contaminate the faucet head every time they want a drink. Worst idea ever...
    Hmm, you reckon it's a worse idea than reality TV or the concept that "celebrity" means anyone that has ever appeared in TV?

Perhaps instead of a finger being use, they could have a metal flap that dangles down which someone can use to block off the bottom flow instead.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    Perhaps instead of a finger being use, they could have a metal flap that dangles down which someone can use to block off the bottom flow instead.
    Or just a simple button would work.

Senior Engineer
    Or perhaps having a tap on a sink to wash things and a separate device for drinking from or maybe use a cup or glass. Both those seem less complex or prone to failure to me.

It's quite convenient but it's also unhygienic. I agree with some of the comments here. I really wouldn't want to drink from that if other people's fingers have been on it before.

Staff Engineer
    Am I the only person that got the part where you're supposed to wash your hands at it first?

Perhaps I'm just unusually relaxed about germs in public places, but this doesn't seem as horrifying to me as it does to some of you folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    Perhaps I'm just unusually relaxed about germs in public places, but this doesn't seem as horrifying to me as it does to some of you folks.
    I'm with you on this. I am the product of 150,000 years of interaction with a vibrant micro-biological environment. This has given me immunity to a whole host of malicious micro-bugs which are part of my environment, and the environment I share with hundreds of thousands of people in my city.

OME