Close

Follow lucidpsykosis On Twitter Add lucidpsykosis on Thingiverse

Exclamation Help! My extruder won't stop overheating!!

I just replaced my dual extruder, and fired it up to calibrate the nozzles. I got busy with something and came back to see that the right nozzle had heated to 277º (set to 245) and was still climbing?! Has this ever happened to anyone?

*Update* I just noticed that even if I have only one extruder set to heat up, they both heat up. I'm sure I hooked it up right...doesn't seem that difficult to when its all color coded.
    Last edited by lucidpsykosis; 09-15-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    What software are you using ?

The last time I played with gpx I had the same problem. No matter what settings I tried it always heated up both extruders.

Have you tried the preheat setting on the printer itself ? (you probably have - but have to ask)

So here's the update to my issue. After showing before and after photo's of the wiring harness being connected, so that they could see I hooked it up exactly how it was (when it worked), and showing multiple screenshots of the left overheating and the right extruder shutting down, they had me check how it was wired. Come to find that the right was plugged into the left. I also verified that the thermocouples were wired correctly (which they were). I switched them and fired it back up using RepG so that I could watch the temp status. The upside, is that the right ext. didn't prematurely shut down like before; both sides heated nicely at the same time. Sadly, they didn't stop at 220 (test temp), and kept going to around 280 before I was able to shut everything down. I should note that even though I put both temps to zero in the RepG, they didn't stop heating. I tried again, using the printer itself to try the heating...did the same thing. The best part about all this, is that some guy named Raymond Li at FlashForge, then sent me an email answering a question I had about warranty, and said, "I think Mr. Tang is suggesting you to switch the connectors on the motherboard, as you mix up the left and right heating lines when you first installed it." WTF? I have previous emails from him stating that he saw the photo's and that I had hooked it up right...now he's blaming me. I've heard that the customer service with FlashForge is great...I must've got a dipshit for help. Sooo, since I bought it through Best Buy, I'll have to go through Geek Squad to fix all this. Yay me. Upside is, I have their protection plan, so they may just give me a new one.

lol, omfg this sucks. So, Best Buy doesn't have anymore FlashForge Creator X's, nor will they get more in the near future. They tried to upgrade me to a Creator Pro, but that was a no-go as well, then they tried a Makerbot Rep Dual, but that was double the cost...so I got my money back. Now I gotta go back to shopping for a replacement. FML.

Engineer-in-Training
    Didn't know Best Buy sold printers.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    There are two elements in a hot end, the ceramic heater and the thermistor... the thermistor sounds like it wasnt plugged in it working correctly, they are about $5 to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    Didn't know Best Buy sold printers.
    Most people don't...even the people at Best Buy. When I brought mine in, they all gave me this, "why are you here with this...box?" look. Since they won't be getting FlashForge printers in the foreseen future, I had to shop elsewhere. Ended up going with a Dreamer on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    There are two elements in a hot end, the ceramic heater and the thermistor... the thermistor sounds like it wasnt plugged in it working correctly, they are about $5 to replace.
    that sucks, because it was a huge waste of money. Oh well, live and learn I guess.