Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Interesting update - these are the first substantive pictures I've seen that show builds. Also, it sounds like there are some beta printers out there, although I haven't found any unboxings or print videos on YouTube.

The build pictures are interesting, and show some definite issues which they discuss in the update. It also really sounds like they are heavily dependent on their developed software. I am planning to run this via Octoprint, so I hope they make good on the promise of supporting existing slicers.

November Update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-printer/posts

Untitled by Defining the Next Generation of 3D Printers, on Flickr

This is an awful nice looking little casting!

It's nice that a number of pictures showing actual prints are included with this update. This seems to match my impression of the machine so far - it will be slow, but will be capable of making nice prints. If the software is sufficiently mature when the printers get into the wild (meaning that you don't need to tweak for every part), it looks to me like the results will be not quite as good looking as what we get from our Makerbot Replicator 2X. That's acceptable if it comes at the lower end of the print speed spectrum, and quite good if it comes at the top end of the speed.

Based on that, I remain concerned about support for Slic3r and some of the other tools. If the software magic is in the printer's firmware, fantastic. If it's in a proprietary Windows/Mac interface, not as good.

I have some concerns about the sample images; lots of warping, stringing, bad "first layer" kind of stuff. The 10.00 micrometer pic is useless - it's not measuring anything! I had asked for a dimension pic like that in a previous update but the quality of that part and the quality of some of the parts here are worlds apart. Also I don't see the filament going up from the base through the feed tube to the head - it's always coming from a spool sitting next to the printer.

I have a CubeX and while that thing is buggier than a campfire in Northern Ontario, at least I can get it to spit out something decent with KISSlicer. I hear you on the firmware/software thing - I hope you're right!

I also hope they'll do a way better job with the packaging - the Formlabs printer we got came in a beautiful "plain" cardboard box... it doesn't take much effort to get some nice stuff like that done up to really finish it off.

With all these August printers now being out, and the November backers getting their surveys... I wonder why there are no YouTube videos or blog posts with tons of unboxing photos etc out there. Has anyone come across any yet?

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    2 more weeks and I will make one for unboxing and printing.

Are you a November backer and just got a survey?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMTechRob View Post
    2 more weeks and I will make one for unboxing and printing.
    I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experience! I've been checking YouTube daily, and nothing has turned up.

I thought I was the only one who did that!

These just showed up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I-Hnt55JRM

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbs...XD_7jJYKMdSJhw

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast