Close

PEI build plates

Is anybody using the PEI magnetic build plates? I was all in for a while, I have them on both of my printers now. But now it seems like the honeymoon is over. My prints let go sometimes. I am trying slower first layer speed, hotter bed, and a slightly larger z gap on the first layer. Anyone else? Any tips? I am printing with ABS, PLA, and PETG. I used to think that if I can get the first layer to go down then the rest of the print will be fine. Not the case any more. TIA

Super Moderator
    I've been using the same rough side PEI sheet for two years now and have just done the following.....

Check bed level.
    Clean bed with IPA on a paper towel.

Print five or more 50mm square files at various positions round the bed at one layer thickness of 0.2mm.
    Print first five at zero 'Z' offset.
    Print next five at an increase of 0.05mm 'Z' offset.
    After each print remove and see how well the extruded filament sticks to the adjacent filament by holding it up to the light. Try adjusting plus or minus by 0.01 increments.
    If the surface is ploughing up and making waves the nozzle is too close.

Edit.....the 'Z' offset setting is in the slicer.
    Last edited by Bikeracer2020; 04-14-2024 at 05:39 AM.

I have been struggling with these plates for almost a year now.
    I have a cartesian and a delta printer. I print PETG and ABS on the cartesain and PLA on the delta.

It got to the point on the delta that it was like anti-adhesion.

The filament would go down on to the bed, but then the next outer line would tear up the inner line.

OR

The filament would go down on to the bed, and immediately curl up away from the bed

OR

The filament would not even get to the bed, it would just wad up around the nozzle.

It got to the point that I couldn't print anything. Both of my printers were down because of anti-bed adhesion.

I tried hotter, cooler, faster, slower, more z gap, less z gap, wipe with IPA. I did everything I could think of.

Finally I had enough. I dug out an old build sheet. I don't know how to describe these other than it is black and I can cut it with scissors and it has adhesive on the back side. I stuck it down on a sheet of glass and stuck that down on the printer and set my z height.

I am back in business. I ordered some more on Amazon and I put one on my cartesain printer too. I'm back where I was a year ago lol.

They grip the print very well, almost too well, but I would rather deal with that than to find out a 4 hour print let go after 3 hours.

Whew my nightmare is over. In the words of AC/DC I'm back in black! And I'm glad to be back.
    Last edited by sdtag; 04-13-2024 at 04:49 PM.

Super Moderator
    Did You adjust the 'Z' offset in the slicer or just the 'Z' height when setting the initial nozzle difference?

I should have made that clearer in my answer , now rectified.

From your description it sounds as if your nozzle was slightly too far away using the PEI sheet.
    Last edited by Bikeracer2020; 04-14-2024 at 01:51 AM.

I made the z change in the printer itself.
    It is a delta running smoothieware so it is very easy to make changes in the firmware.
    Then I fine tune it with the screws on top of the sliders that hit the end stops.
    In my cartesian printer there is a place in the menu system to set the z height, and the bed has leveling screws so I can fine tune that one that way.
    I had a realization this morning. I can stick one of my build sheets that I know works onto a spring steel PEI plate. Then I will have the build surface that I like and I can still remove it and flex it to pop off the print. The best of both worlds. Good plan huh - we'll see what happens lol

Well it looks kind of dumb but it works.
    I have a 235X235 build sheet (for an Ender) stuck to a 235X235 PEI build plate (also for an Ender)
    I stuck a magnet sheet to the 240mm round glass and then stuck the PEI build plate to the glass.
    I printed little stoppers to keep the plate from rotating. It looks like a square peg in a round hole lol
    I reset my z height and I am off and running. And I can still buy these Ender build sheets so I am set.
    anycubic bed.jpg