Close

Issues with first print

Brought my son the Adventure 3 Pro 2 for his birthday, and we're both brand new to 3D printing. We've gone through the setup (hopefully accurately) and did the demo print of the box that comes with it. That worked just fine. He found this to try as his first print (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3083495). Opened the file in Flashprint and it said there were errors. Selected the option to repair, then sliced it, and sent it to the printer. It started just fine, but about halfway through the filament started "falling apart", I don't know how else to describe it. We stopped the job, but here's how it looks (see attachment). What happened? How do we do better next time? Any tips for newbies?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You will need to add supports to print that object.After slicing, use the Slice Preview and step thru the layers (L/R arrow keys) from the build plate up.You will see you are trying to print into thin air (best seen from the side view).Just add supports and it will print just fine.Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle View Post
    You will need to add supports to print that object.After slicing, use the Slice Preview and step thru the layers (L/R arrow keys) from the build plate up.You will see you are trying to print into thin air (best seen from the side view).Just add supports and it will print just fine.Enjoy!
    I thought something like that might be the case. Now I have to figure out how to add supports. I'm going to Google that today, but if you a know of a good resource to use I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

If using FlashPrint5, look in the menu bar on the right and select Supports.

Then click on Auto Supports and then Back.

Slice and print.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle View Post
    If using FlashPrint5, look in the menu bar on the right and select Supports.

Then click on Auto Supports and then Back.

Slice and print.

Enjoy!
    Oh my gosh, if it's that easy.....wow! We will try it again this evening. You saved me lots of research!

On a side note, and this may be obvious, but how does one know when supports are needed if not included in the original model?

"how does one know when supports are needed if not included in the original model?" - Intuition

Seriously, the best way is just step thru the layers and make sure nothing is printing in mid air.

if you just imagine printing the object from the build plate up, you'll get to recognize most times when supports are necessary.

You can also just use the Auto Supports to see what FlashPrint recommends.

Also, under Supports, you can choose between tree like Branch Supports and Linear/Pillar type supports.

You might want to print the model using each type of support to see how they work and better understand the differences.

Enjoy!

Intuition, that's what I thought. Haha. I will play around with asking if supports are needed or not.The new print with supports worked perfectly. Now I need to try to remove these supports carefully and not damage the product.