Close

Problems with basic PETG print

Hey all,I am brand new to 3d printing, and am having issues printing out a very basic project enclosure using PETG on a Creality K1. I have tried the print 3 times and it is the exact same result each time. On the 3rd or 4 layer, I start to see where the lines of printed material start developing gaps on the infill and I am seeing some spidery wisps around the print. I let the first one go pretty long and eventually the printed layers just stopped adhering to the last layer and it became a mess. The first layer and adhesion look good (based on my completely novice opinion). They are fully filled, and it is difficult to remove the work from the base after I cancel the print. I thought it was a problem with temperature, extrusion, retraction based on everything I have been reading about PETG,. but I am printing the calibration file which repeatedly prints a design in 5 degree differences and everything from 260 degrees to 240 degrees has printed and looks good. I selected the generic PETG profile from the materials when attempting to print the enclosure, slowed the print speed on one attempt and verified that it was printing at 250 degrees on each of the failed attempts. I downloaded someone else's 3d model for the print and ran it through the Creality slicer, but I was not sure if maybe there could be a problem with the model or some other step that I am missing which could cause this? This is the second project I have ever attempted to print and while I tried to do my research, I am sure there could be something extremely basic I am missing.I can post some photos of the failed prints if it would help...

So as soon as you say on layer xxx, that has nothing to do with PETG.. more than likely the printer
    PETG sticks like crazy glue.. that is the nature of the beast .. it remove a chunk of glass form my printer bed years ago.. also PETG should not need to be printed any hotter than 235C try esun petg as that works flawlessly for me at 235 bed temp 65-70. Comes off easer at 65

Thanks @airscapes I made a few changes and was able to print the piece pretty flawlessly.The extruder ended up getting jammed so I took it all apart, cleaned everything and re-assembled, replaced the brass nozzle with a normal steel nozzle, and printed directly from the USB. Previously I had been doing direct print over the LAN, which I assumed was just sending the whole file to the printer and then starting the job, but maybe having it local made a difference somehow?