Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eXtrudy View Post
    so I've added a version with audio for tutorial 10 (might still take a while until the upload is done) - I hope it proves useful to you:

http://youtu.be/hTTwjfHuhcA

Viewed the video. It provides a good explanation of the process, however, I have these questions:

1. Where do you define the measurement system. I see that at the end of the process, you can scale in millimetres, but what is the measurement system used in the earlier stages such as when setting depths within the boundaries of the object? (Adding Decoration section)

2. Are our American friends required to use the metric system when the stl file is generated, or can the file be generated in the Imperial system?

3. How would you use this software to create an object such as a rubber duckie like this?
    Rubber Duck.jpg
    4. Would you add narration to Tutorial 7, please?

OME

eXtrudy is an assistant to create things with 2D characteristics in a 3d world. This applies mostly to jewellery, coins, medals etc.. The tool is not able to create real free form 3d objects, but the results should be always printable. Thus it is some kind of 2.5D tool - but for a very special purpose and not for design in general (like professional software as zbrush etc.)

1. Before the last stage the corrdinate system works mostly in pixels. The tool is not meant to allow precise constructions or measurements. Only the last stage should help you to set the volume and bounding box straight. If you need exact scaling, you might post-process the object in another tool like netfabb, meshlab or blender.

2. the metric system rules ;-) - no seriously - at the moment I don't have time for that.
    3. You could create a duck-like object with a simple silhouette a a very curved surface profile - maybe add an eye as decoration element. But with the 2.5D you could not model a free from like the mouth or a neck - see the pictures

duck_shape.jpg
    duck_profile.jpg
    duck_3d_01.jpg
    duck_3d_02.jpg

4. maybe later - can't promise...

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Viewed the video. It provides a good explanation of the process, however, I have these questions:

> Would you describe your program as a designer aid for 2.5D rather than true 3D?

1. Where do you define the measurement system. I see that at the end of the process, you can scale in millimetres, but what is the measurement system used in the earlier stages such as when setting depths within the boundaries of the object? (Adding Decoration section)

2. Are our American friends required to use the metric system when the stl file is generated, or can the file be generated in the Imperial system?

3. How would you use this software to create an object such as a rubber duckie like this?
    Rubber Duck.jpg
    4. Would you add narration to Tutorial 7, please?

OME

Great response!

I have produced a medallion, but forgot to save the stl . The result was not up to printing standard because of my inexperience with the software, but the good thing is that I did manage to get a result.

I am going to watch the ankh video again, and write down the step-by-step actions to produce a quick reference document.

OME

I'm looking forward to see your results :-)

Version 1.2 has been released for Windows with a bunch of new features. And for the first time a Mac OS X version is available!

http://www.extrudy.net/download.html

extrudy_for_mac_os_x.jpg
    Last edited by eXtrudy; 05-19-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Engineer
    Version 1.2 has been released for Windows with a bunch of new features. And for the first time a Mac OS X version is available!

http://www.extrudy.net/download.html

extrudy_for_mac_os_x.jpg
    When I tried to download the .exe file, firefox stopped the download with a virus warning. Not sure why, the .zip file downloaded fine, and I ran it through a ton of AV program's all with safe result's. Might want to look into that. Thanks for putting this together for everyone to use though

This is strange - I use firefox too and don't have download problems. Could you please send a screenshot of the warning dialog? Are you able to download any other exe installers (e.g. from download sites like cnet, chip etc.)?

thanks and best regards, Hendrik

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    When I tried to download the .exe file, firefox stopped the download with a virus warning. Not sure why, the .zip file downloaded fine, and I ran it through a ton of AV program's all with safe result's. Might want to look into that. Thanks for putting this together for everyone to use though

Engineer
    This is strange - I use firefox too and don't have download problems. Could you please send a screenshot of the warning dialog? Are you able to download any other exe installers (e.g. from download sites like cnet, chip etc.)?

thanks and best regards, Hendrik
    Ever since the first time I tried and got the warning, it won't let me click that link anymore. I tried with Chrome just to check, and it still gives an error. Which is odd, also odd because I use private searching by default with firefox, it should not remember anything when I close it.
    44.jpg

Here is a google image I found that looked similar to the one I got, 45.jpg, but I also had a window pop up with it.

Thank you for your help. Maybe it's a firewall which is allergic to unkown exe files. But if the zip works, you could use that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    Ever since the first time I tried and got the warning, it won't let me click that link anymore. I tried with Chrome just to check, and it still gives an error. Which is odd, also odd because I use private searching by default with firefox, it should not remember anything when I close it.
    44.jpg

Here is a google image I found that looked similar to the one I got, 45.jpg, but I also had a window pop up with it.

Any version for iphone?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast