Close

Thread: Shiny Surface

Shiny Surface

Hello all. I have a very large budget, and I have a problem to solve.
    I need to create a 3D scan of a guitar. This guitar is very shiny, but also
    valuable. I am not able to coat the guitar in something to make it no longer
    reflective. Is there a particular scanner that would allow me to get a detailed
    representation of it? Besides that are there any particular techniques I could use
    that do not involve applying anything to the guitar. Thank you all for any input
    you might have. I can potentially spend a couple grand, but please mention
    anything that can do this regardless of price.

Senior Engineer

Staff Engineer
    The Krylon dulling spray I've used seems to wipe off cleanly, but if you're really forbidden to use anything like that, a touch probe like a Microscribe might be your best bet, since it's not affected by reflections. Those allow you to capture objects point by point, so the data sets are pretty sparse, unlike most optical scanners. Just be sure to provide a soft point for it in place of the sharp one it comes with, so you don't mark up the surface of the instrument. It's a lot more labor-intensive to make a scan this way, but you can get good results if you take your time.

A CT scanner might be another option.

Andrew Werby
    Last edited by Geoff; 09-10-2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: removed advertising.

You could try one of the spray on Peel Coats from companies like Rustoleum. This is a water-based rubber type of product that peels off by hand when the coating is no longer required, without damaging the sprayed object. It is available in a wide range of matte colours.

Have a look at this site: www.dipyourcar.com/Plasti-Dip-Sprays/

Old Man Emu

have you tried photoscan or 123d catch with some softer lighting instead of scanning?