Close

Question What software could I use? I only have the new iPad and no pencil….no pc.

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my issue etc.So as the title suggests I do not have a Mac or pc…..only the 6th gen iPad 12.9. I have wanted a 3d printer for a long time and have just purchased a (Creality Ender-3 S1 Plus 3D Printer Ender-3 S1 Pro Upgrade with 300 * 300 * 300 mm) knowing my luck this will just be upgrade parts for a previous model lol. But moving on….I’ve been doing a bit of research on design software and have come across SketchUp (which kind of confuses me because it says it’s for architects and interior design) as well as Shapr 3d which I can’t use as I don’t have an Apple Pencil and it does not register my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse (cheap stuff) so I cannot get past setup process. Also Nomad Sculpt but that looks really difficult to me as I’m not artistic……on that note I think anything I use or design will be difficult but I want to work my butt off and learn how to create awesome things (even if only awesome to me).I’m hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction and if you have any YouTube tutorial videos I could watch that would be excellent.If you made it this far then I thank you for your time.

Super Moderator
    From previous threads on here, Sketchup is not very good for creating useable STL files to slice and generate g-code for your printer.

Plenty of free design software available, personally I use Fusion 360, there are plenty of how to videos on YouTube for it.

As for using an ipad or simlar, someone with more tech knowledge could answer that.
    It is doable on a laptop, but a lot easier on a larger desktop machine.

Thank you for the quick reply, I will have a look through the forums and someone may come back with some iPad ideas……either way I am so excited an I know there are millions of print files available (for personal use)…..my end goal is to print someone’s awesome Ironman cosplay design (not to sell) as I’ve always wanted to go Comic-Con as Ironman and a 3d printer give’s me a chance at achieving my end goal…..I know I’m a big kid lol.Thank you so much and I will look at Fusion 360.

Technologist
    If you have a mathematical mind then CAD is the way to go and Fusion 360 (hobby or paid) is a very good way to go.

If you are more artistic minded then art focused 3d software is the way to go. Blender 3d is a free open source excellent option though a high learning curve. Zbrush ($$$) is the industry standard for digital sculpting.

Got my 3d printer a year ago and also a big kid with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1egND_XZPjg

Take a look at at onshape.com. Free but anything you make is available to other users to use. It is all online so only storage needed is to download the stl file. It is a full blown CAD system and takes some work but the very basics will not take long. After a few years as hobbyist I can now spin up what I need in less than an hour most of the time unless what I am doing forces me to learn something new about onshape.. .. The online documentation is much better now then it was when I started with it as it is relatively new in comparison to Solidworks. Last week I wanted a bit holder for one of my cordless dills.. so I made one using TPU filament, also made a 2 bit version and one with imbedded magnets to hold long extensions ..
    Attached Images Attached Images