Close

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse

Taulman Bridge vs Taulman “T-Glase” PET

ok heres the deal i want to print a replace for my car antena, the base where the antena attach to the car, but checking the specs of Taulman's bridge it saids at 52 C its the glass transition.....that means it will start to warp or lost structural strengh??? and checking 3d-filaments.com they also sell pett, and the glass transition is about 78 C, to summarize, my concern is about the resistance of the material because i live in a hot area of mexico, we can reach up to 42-45 C in the summer. any ideas?? i dont wana screw it and buy an spool thats gona collect dust on the garage.

The glass transition temperature of ABS is around 105 C.

The ambient temperature is one thing, but how hot will the surface of your car get? Take a look at this thread over at autogeekonline.net. On a sunny day at around 34C, this guy measured car skin temperatures of up to 78C. At 45C, you may be pushing close to the glass transition temperature of ABS. Anything less and you're definitely going to get some softening and warping.

Technologist
    Yes you aré right 3dkarma, heat from the sun can be really harsh, by the way theres any type of paint or finish i could use to protect the plástics? And i guess i Will stick with the ABS filaments, better bad know then good to know, or something like that, the idea got lost on google translation, lol

I can't think of anything that will sufficiently protect the plastic. Anything reflective will help with heat from the sun, but heat from the metal body of the car will still be conducted to the plastic.

Technologist
    ok sorry to keep asking but i saw this http://www.filabot.com/collections/f...otube-filament the new carbon abs filament, i wana believe it has a higher resistance to heat, but im not sure, any ideas? anyone??

Printing temperature is 225 to 235 C, which is comparable to ABS. It's mostly ABS, so I'd expect the glass transition point to be the same.

Technologist
    thanks i would check it

Technician
    you don't Have to use abs, try the wooden fillaments, they have much higher temperature resistances before deformation

Quote Originally Posted by alodia View Post
    you don't Have to use abs, try the wooden fillaments, they have much higher temperature resistances before deformation
    Does the wood give that much insulation? From what I understand, it's sawdust suspended in PLA, which retuains the same glass transition temperature.