Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question help with picking a dual extruder printer?

Hello all,
    I'm an optician and an RC aircraft designer/modeler, and I'm going to be purchasing my first 3D printer soon.
    I could really use some insight from the experts.

What I'm searching for:
    6.25"X7"X5" minimum build area... I will be printing eyewear frames among other things.
    Dual extruders, or ability to upgrade to dual without reinventing the wheel.
    Ability to print ABS... I'd like to be able to print PLA and nylon as well.
    Accuracy and finished surfaces are a priority... I'm not too worried about speed.
    I prefer that it's not made of wood, but it's not a deal breaker either.
    I won't mind assembling it at all, but I will need a full kit. I don't want to be sourcing all the parts.
    I won't mind fiddling with it to dial it in, but I'd prefer not to spend two hours a day on it.
    The replicator 2X is at the very upper limit of my budget. I'd prefer to stay below $2k.

So far I've been looking at the replicator 2X, and the Bukobot 8 v2 Dual. Who am I missing?
    It also appears that the Felix 3.0 will be available as a dual, but I'm really not interested in waiting on a new product.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, but I could sure use some first hand knowledge! If there's a better forum for me to be posting this on please let me know.
    Thanks in advance,
    Michael

Technician
    Printrbot's Plus model is suppose to have a dual head option soon. Another one to add to your list.

http://printrbot.com/shop/plus-v2-1-kit/

• Upgradable to a v2.2 – our dual head upgrade kit COMING SOON

IMO Printrbot's use of laser cut is like using cardboard for a printer, I have not heard any long term users results, but I would be surprised if it remained stabled in the long run. My favorite is the Mendal Max design, don't know if, or who is selling complete kits, or if it is strictly a build your own, but that will be my next, and it has plenty of room for multiple extruders.

I currently run a MakerBot Replicator 2X for all of our prototyping... I really love it. It has required some finessing and replacing both Thermocouples (provided free of charge from MB), but it works great with ABS, looks good, and has a great support community should you need it. ...Look through the links on my signature to see the stuff I've printed on mine.

Thanks for the quick responses! I've been looking at the printrbot but I do have concerns about the wood. I don't trust plywood to not warp over time. I could see a damp weekend affecting print quality. Thoughts?

Vanguard,
    The Bukobot 8 looks very similar to a Mendel Max design. Can you see any glaring differences?

Quincy,
    Thanks for the mini-review. Have you run in to any problems with the closed sourcing of the hard and software? Have you found anything you couldn't do that you thought you would?

More questions...
    I see some printers where the bed only moves in the Z direction and some where the bed also moves fore and aft (y direction?). Does the horizontally moving bed tend to make tall prints warp or fall over all together? How does this affect precision. What about speed?
    Given sufficient knowledge and tinker time... can most printers be made to print to a similar detail level?

Thanks a bunch!
    Michael

I do like the overall look of the Bukobot 8, but I really have not investigated it. It looks nothing like the Mendal Max. The Mendal Max looks like a Prusa, except it has the sturdy extruded aluminum frame and larger build area, it could easily be scaled up. That design still has it's weaknesses though. It has a lot of flexibility in how you can build/modify it. You need to decide what works best for YOU !

I like the build volume of all delta bot design 3D printers also. They look like they may be the way to go, but once again, I have not taken enough time to completely investigate them. I just know I don't trust a cardboard frame printer.
    Edit;
    After searching "MendalMax" I find that what is being sold as MendalMax is not what I had know as MendalMax. I apologize. The MendalMax I found does look to be of VERY high quality, and able to be upgraded. The Bukobot 8 does look to be that style, and a good design.
    You want a sturdy printer, one that can handle the vibrations that happen at high speed printing. Also you want to be able to upgrade.

3D printers are changing so fast it is impossible to predict what you will need to be able to take advantage of upgrades. You can only give it your best guess, I would guess that the MendalMax style would be able to be upgrade. The Bukobot 8 does not look to be quite as high of grade materials, but then the price may not justify the high grade materials, the Bukobot may be just fine for your needs, plus you can always upgrade to high grade materials if you need.

You need to decide based on your criteria.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 11-19-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Technician
    I have the assembled Printrbot Plus v2.1 on order. I'm not too concerned about the wood. With a jigsaw or rotozip, you can cut your own sheet in minutes if needed or even print one out from plastic. Its also made in USA near Sacramento, CA.

This is what the beta dual upgrade kit looks like.
    http://printrbot.com/shop/beta-print...ruder-upgrade/

AH ! Figured it out. You are looking at the MendalMax 2.0, that is why I was confused. The MendalMax does not look like Bukobot 8, the MendalMax 2 and the Bukobot 8 look alike, that is the design I would go with if it was me.

I took a look at www.makerstoolworks.com the MendalMax 2 is a WOW 3D printer, the frame on that printer could stand an atomic blast. I also looked at the Bukobot, and the Printrbot, now the Printrbot is cheap. You get what you pay for comes to mind. The MendalMax 2 is far from low cost, but far from the most expensive also. I could not find the price for the Buko.

If I was spending the money, I would spend mine at Makers Tool Works. I think I will start saving some money, that looks like a machine I WANT !
    Last edited by Vanguard; 11-20-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Midoco,
    I've not run into anything so far and have run 2 KickStarter campaigns off my printer. ...MakerWare has been a very reliable slicing program for us and didn't have a need to do anything to the MakerBot Replicator 2X beyond the thermocouples.

As for not being able to do things I thought I would be able too... I'd say that it was a bit of a surprise when I discovered what a hard time it was to print PLA with the 2X. ...Essentially what I found out whilst visiting MakerBot HQ and talking with the developers is that it was designed specifically for ABS and the venting and cooling systems aren't sufficient to keep PLA rigid before the feed motor tries to pull it into the extruder head. ...This results in snagging. ...For me however, I much prefer ABS printing over PLA. ABS is far more flexible and easier to modify in general. ...I was bummed though. I had bought a cache of PLA filament in my pre-2X excitement and now it's just sitting on standby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast