Close

FlashForge Dreamer - WiFi

I've had the Dreamer for a little while now and have never had the WiFi feature working properly. I would turn WiFi on, it would broadcast it's proxy network, I would look for that network on my laptop and connect to it. When I tried sending a file over the connection it would ALWAYS fail, so I stayed with connecting using a USB cable or printing from an SD card. Now if I try to test the Wifi connection with the new firmware/software updates I can no longer see the network it's broadcasting on any of my computers. Did I inadvertently turn something off in the web interface? Is there a reset to default settings? Any help is appreciated.

Student
    I was able to get WiFi to work on my Dreamer, kind of. The problem with WiFi if you loose connection the print stops and will not start again (very frustrating). My printer is right next to my computer so distance is not an issue, but the connection fails periodically so I do not use WiFi any more. Hopefully in the future they will get the connection to be stabler. It would be nice if they had a network connection so that you could use your own router to connect to the printer. So Sorry not much help but you are not alone with this issue.

jim

Using the less obvious settings in the wifi section I was able to establish a client connection to my router no problem. But it is not really useable because although the connection is stable and stays connected for interacting with the machine settings and such, as soon as I try to download files to the machine storage it errors out and disconnects (let alone drip feed of the g-file while printing!). Also the wifi power-on state is not persistent between machine power cycles so it requires going to the machine panel menus to turn on and it's typically not worth the time! Frankly, I'd prefer if the machine had a (reliable) ethernet port and if I needed wifi I'd hook it to an external acces point!
    It appears to me that there are protocol errors in the transfer section of the firmware that FF has yet to identify and work out. Maybe at some point they will!
    I'm using latest firmware and Flashprint (OSX flavor).

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    I'd just soon do without WiFi (personally, and professionally I do not think that WiFi as a standard for any computing device was ever ready for "prime time") Sending prints and print status is all you get with WiFi. You can't do updates, and you can't manage the printer as easily. I'd rather see a full network setup, with Ethernet as well. And full support of all printer functions via network connections, WiFi or Ethernet. Heck, even dump the SD card thing in favor of Ethernet!

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    OK, just downloaded a new FlashPrint with Printer firmware. They say they fixed the WiFi disconnect problem with prints stopping. YMMV....

Yeah, to amend my previous post:

Latest firmware & FlashPrint (OSX flavor) dated mid-April now keeps wifi power state between power cycles but still errors out trying to transfer files in STA mode. Might be ok for AP mode though - I haven't tried that! Might be ok with Windows or Linux flavors also!