Close

New to 3d printing and in need of some hardware advice.

Hi guys,

I am (as the title says) new to this world but i am very keen and interested in the idea. I simply need some real world expertise advice on a reliable (preferably fast) 3d printer to buy, my budget is up to about $900.

I ideally want a printer that can use different plastics (ABS is a must, polymers would be great too) that has a some what large production size capability as possible and is generally well known for reliability and a great finished product quality (this is a must!)

I know this is no doubt vague and i apologise for that, but google and reviews/videos are not giving me as much confidence as personal opinion from you guys!

Thank you for reading and i look forward to being a regular contributor to the other production sections of this forum !

- Karl.

While it costs a little bit more than your budget, an Orion Delta-style printer from SeeMeCNC at $1299 might be an option. I just bought one a few weeks ago. I was up and running within 2 hours and have printed my brains out since then without the slightest issue. The thing just works! I love the delta style and believe the fewer moving parts will mean fewer issues down the road. The machines are well made and have a great support community. The company itself has been easy to work with. They are professionals with many years of experience in commercial production. Oh, and the machines print in a wide variety of materials: ABS, PLA, Nylon, T-Glass...with more to come.

Engineer-in-Training
    I have always wondered about the delta's... The math seems much harder to deal with if you need to make gcode changes.

Wouldn't the math just be worked out in the software and machine settings?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA136 View Post
    Wouldn't the math just be worked out in the software and machine settings?
    I would agree with that. And in the case of Marlin's support for Delta printers... The bulk of the math to convert from Cartesian coordinates to Delta coordinates (is there such a thing???) are handled in these lines in Marlin_main.cpp. It really isn't that much math. And its not complicated.

#ifdef DELTA
    float delta[3] = {0.0, 0.0, 0.0};
    #define SIN_60 0.8660254037844386
    #define COS_60 0.5
    // these are the default values, can be overriden with M665
    float delta_radius= DELTA_RADIUS;
    float delta_tower1_x= -SIN_60*delta_radius; // front left tower
    float delta_tower1_y= -COS_60*delta_radius;
    float delta_tower2_x= SIN_60*delta_radius; // front right tower
    float delta_tower2_y= -COS_60*delta_radius;
    float delta_tower3_x= 0.0; // back middle tower
    float delta_tower3_y= delta_radius;
    float delta_diagonal_rod= DELTA_DIAGONAL_ROD;
    float delta_diagonal_rod_2= sq(delta_diagonal_rod);
    float delta_segments_per_second= DELTA_SEGMENTS_PER_SECOND;
    #endif

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Delta coordinates (is there such a thing???)
    Polar coordinates.