Close

Student

Solidoodle Workbench - Any Opinions?

Anyone had any hands-on time or found any third-party reviews of the Solidoodle Workbench?
    I’m looking for my first printer and it seems like that meets the capacity and $ requirements. My concerns:

Does the “New Product Uncertainty” principle apply here?

Are there benefits to 2-head printers other than multicolor printing?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well you can print with different materials.
    For example use abs for main things and add a bit of nuinjaflex in where you want flexibility. And trust me ninjaflex sticks to pretty much every other type of filament.

The only issue I'd have with the workbench is the lack of an sd card slot.

In general the solidoodle printers seem to be good machines at decent prices. As long as you live in the us.
    Anywhere else and the postage and tax make them quite expensive.

It's good to see someone has used this machine. I have a Solidoodle 2 and it uses repetier program to run it. Does the new workbench also use this program? Thanks.

My first 3D printer was a Solidoodle which I still have and use. They are a good value for the $ spent, but be prepared to tweak and fiddle to get it working the way you want and to keep it that way, basically like pretty much every other current desktop printer on the market. That said, I've done some fairly extensive upgrading on my SD to increase durability, some of the original printed parts on mine I would have tossed in the recycle bin had they come off of one of my printers, they were that bad, hopefully that is no longer an issue with the new generation of SD printers.

If you do decide to go with a Solidoodle, the dedicated Solidoodle forum is your best resource for any and all questions related to the product, lots of experienced users over there and it's not sponsored by SD so you can discuss any topic SD related, good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Stonegiant View Post
    It's good to see someone has used this machine. I have a Solidoodle 2 and it uses repetier program to run it. Does the new workbench also use this program? Thanks.
    Yes, the new models still use Repetier and will work with most any other host/slicer program that supports Marlin firmware. SD is developing their own version of host software aimed mainly at new/inexperienced users and is intentionally designed for ease of use vs. the flexible configuration capability of Repetier and others. I use Repetier, Cura, and Simplify 3D, each one has it's own unique features that make it suitable for certain types of prints so I use whichever suits the job at hand, have not had an issue using any of them on the SD once I figured out the optimum setup for each app.