Close

Old makerbot -> Flashforge

Hello!

I have an ancient makerbot (TOM) and I am thinking on upgrading it, but even with the makerbot upgrade coupon I can get like 2 flashforges creator pro haha so my question is:

1) Is the creator pro quality nice? can anyone post a photo of a piece with macro?

2) Is the dreamer firmware opensource? (I like more the design but... if is going to die soon I would like to hack my fixes into it, as my current Makerbot is nicely modded, firmware translated to spanish)

Thanks a lot!

The Dreamer is closed. You HAVE to use it's own FlashPrint software to communicate/slice/print. You have zero control or rafts and supports, and I find them very difficult to remove most of the time. It uses quite a bit of material for those supports as well. It uses built in slicing (Skeinforge or Slic3r) but you have to choose preset setting and have very little control over the individual settings. You can use your own gcode sliced from another app, but I haven't seen any documentation describing what printer settings to use (threaded rod specs, belts, filament diameter compensation...).

I see, thanks for the answer I think I am almost 100% sure about getting a creator pro, but the dreamer looks so nice :/

It looks a quite a bit nicer than it actually is. I would have gone for the creator pro if I would have seen one in person first.

I see, thanks for the information, I think I am going to go with the creator pro. I guess the dreamer leveling is similar to the creator pro, any experience with that? I am quite tired of getting large raftless printings with difficulty due the leveling (my wooden makerbot can't just handle more precision, I have tested it: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28135 :/ so I need something with a more solid base)