Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

Do wifi sd cards work with 3d printers ?

I know they will all download pictures to an accessing computer - but does anyone know if a wifi sd card will also allow files to be added to the sdcard ?

Thinking this would be an easy way to add wifi to any 3d printer with an sd card slot.

I have a number of computers I use, all linked via remote access. Would be great if I could render and slice on my quadcore and then just dump the resultant x3g file directly to the card already in the printer.

It can cut a 45 minute openscad and 10 minute slice on the 3d printers own computer (cheap and cheerful amd apu all in one board) to about 20 minutes total processing.

And the wifi cards can be had for less than £20 for an 8gb. And 8gb is a helluval lot of x3g files :-)

Okay so I bought a toshiba 16gb wifi card. It's class 10 so i figure if the wifi doesn't pan out it's still a decent card for my next digital camera.

The good news - plug it into the flashforge and I can see and access the wifi network it gives out.
    The bad news - toshiba suck.
    The pc software I need to update the card, and maybe do other stuff, was supposed to be on the card and wasn't. It also wasn't at the url given in the 'manual' I eventually found it via a internet search.
    But it doesn't talk to the card, and until it's talked to the card it won't run.

It doesn't look like the cards are writable via wifi, but without being able to use the softaware it's hard to tell.
    Haven't found a way to upload via the web interface - that's about as basic as it gets.

But I haven't given up. And the main thing is that the printer powers the card and it does generate an accessible wifi network.
    So we're halfway there :-)

Keep at it CA, I know you'll get it soon!

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Okay so I bought a toshiba 16gb wifi card. It's class 10 so i figure if the wifi doesn't pan out it's still a decent card for my next digital camera.

The good news - plug it into the flashforge and I can see and access the wifi network it gives out.
    The bad news - toshiba suck.
    The pc software I need to update the card, and maybe do other stuff, was supposed to be on the card and wasn't. It also wasn't at the url given in the 'manual' I eventually found it via a internet search.
    But it doesn't talk to the card, and until it's talked to the card it won't run.

It doesn't look like the cards are writable via wifi, but without being able to use the softaware it's hard to tell.
    Haven't found a way to upload via the web interface - that's about as basic as it gets.

But I haven't given up. And the main thing is that the printer powers the card and it does generate an accessible wifi network.
    So we're halfway there :-)
    Hell of a bump I know!
    But, have just got this setup today, using a Toshiba FlashAir card.
    Have it associated to my main router wireless network - so just appears as a device on the main network instead of having to use any apps or other messing about - just added a network location and can copy/save/delete straight on the printer directly.
    Let me know if you need a hand and still no success.

Senior Engineer
    There is already a long thread on how to do this including how to static the IP and make it a client.

anyone care to share the link to how to set this up I'm nearly there I just need to to get my router to work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Placebo View Post
    Keep at it CA, I know you'll get it soon!
    nope never have. Basically my card won't update or allow any modification to the firmware or software. I use it as a normal sd card, so reading and writing via card reader works. But that won't access the hidden android partition so it's just a slightly more expensive sd card.
    Shame really.

I've tried updating it in about 4 different machines with different os's - just won't have any of it.

Senior Engineer
    Send it to me and I will sort it for you and send it back,

There is no Android partition on it so it isn't any surprise you can't find it.