Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician
    Add Zulfe on Thingiverse

Question Slic3r Versions on the i3v

I've contacted Colin at MakerFarm on this issue before. According to the build guide, we should be using Slic3r version 0.9.9. He stated that was the case because higher versions cause extruding issues. I wouldn't really consider this a problem if it wasn't for the fact that the Slic3r team improves key features on each update. I personally have really bad issues with my support material. It sticks and bonds to the model, completely ruining it every time. I cannot get the support material off without spending hours of work slowly chipping and cutting at it to peel it away.

What versions of Slic3r is everyone here running? How well are your prints coming out? Is there a way to fix the extruding issue in higher versions that Colin is talking about? Am I the only one having support material issues?

Engineer
    I'm running Slic3r 1.1.7. My prints are coming out just fine, and it has a "pillars" support option which has been working well for me. The supports come off easily enough when the print is done (though sometimes they come loose during printing). I do not know what "extruding issues" Colin is referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    I'm running Slic3r 1.1.7. My prints are coming out just fine, and it has a "pillars" support option which has been working well for me. The supports come off easily enough when the print is done (though sometimes they come loose during printing). I do not know what "extruding issues" Colin is referring to.
    The Pillar support is very useful. But I've had the same problem of the pillars loosing adhesion. I think the pillar support needs to be modified to have a stronger base or alternatively, little bridge beams that reach out and attach to other pillar support pieces so there is more strength.

As a work around, I've been pausing my print and moving the nozzle close to a pillar and telling it to extrude 5 or 10mm of material. I can manually bridge between a couple smaller weaker pillars and make them strong enough to not break off. Really, the Slicer program should be doing that, but it is possible to help it out manually if you are by your printer when it needs the assistance.

Engineer
    Whenever I notice a pillar support wiggling because it's coming loose, I've been putting a little acetone at the base to make it gummy and stick better (I only print with ABS so far).

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I had been using Slic3r 1.1.6 essentially without major issues before I moved to Cura. One key point is that we don't know what version Colin had tried, and whether it was a pre-release or final. It could be that whatever issue he was having has since been adjusted. There are a few new entries in the ini file that weren't there for v0.9.9 - maybe there are issues if the new software is ran with an old ini file?

Technician
    Add Zulfe on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    I had been using Slic3r 1.1.6 essentially without major issues before I moved to Cura. One key point is that we don't know what version Colin had tried, and whether it was a pre-release or final. It could be that whatever issue he was having has since been adjusted. There are a few new entries in the ini file that weren't there for v0.9.9 - maybe there are issues if the new software is ran with an old ini file?
    That's very possible, and would definitely explain the issue. I'm glad to know that I'm no longer limited to version 0.9.9. How is Cura compared to Slic3r 1.1.6? I've only ever used it to check out larger STLs because sometimes they'd be too big to show on Slic3r's plater or, like some files that I've encountered, fit but simply don't show up on the plater. I assume Cura would be more attuned to an Ultimaker printer, right?
    Last edited by Zulfe; 09-01-2014 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulfe View Post
    That's very possible, and would definitely explain the issue. I'm glad to know that I'm limited to version 0.9.9. How is Cura compared to Slic3r 1.1.6? I've only ever used it to check out larger STLs because sometimes they'd be too big to show on Slic3r's plater or, like some files that I've encountered, fit but simply don't show up on the plater. I assume Cura would be more attuned to an Ultimaker printer, right?
    Cura support for non-Ultimaker printers is addressed in the Cura manual. I had no issues configuring it to work with the rep rap/i3v. The trickiest thing I remember is that retraction defaults to a pretty long length since Ultimaker has a Bowden extruder. So, not very tricky. I know slic3r has it's fans, but I couldn't be happier with Cura for where I am at in my printing. Especially now that I'm using Repetier Host with Cura Engine as an embedded slicer. I now have a quality user interface that allows me to do everything I normally want to do except design - full rotation and scaling support in part placement, instantaneous or fast slicing, layer-by-layer 3D view, manual printer control, G-code editing. With slic3r, I just grew weary of it taking forever to do it's thing or even never completing, with what seems to be pseudo-random nozzle movements and overzealous need for retraction to match, with issues in gap filling. Sure, I lost some flexibility from slic3r, but right now my print quality seems to be better off without it. Being frank, I also started to question the code stability of slic3r. Entries in the revision history talking about functions being ported to a new language or rewritten from scratch raised questions in whether I felt I could trust slic3r to perform consistently as versions roll out.

I can't really speak to the support function in Cura, though. I've only done one print with it (the wade's extruder base). I moved from slic3r 0.9.9 to v1.1.6 to leverage the "rewritten from scratch" support capability added in v1.0.0. Maybe I didn't have it set up right, but my limited experimenting with it didn't go well. The web research I then did seemed to indicate that those with particular support needs should really be building support into their design - that none of the actively-developed free slicers are as good at it as you want them to be.

EDIT: OK, I do remember having to futz a while with the first layer setup with Cura.
    Last edited by printbus; 08-31-2014 at 09:05 PM.

printbus, can you please share your Cura settings? Maybe just screenshots of all screens with checkboxes

I've played around with Cura, and it produced much better quality then Slic3r for me, and at much higher print speed. But I feel that some things should still be tweaked, but I don't have enough patience to mess around will settings there, which are a plenty.

Technician
    Add Zulfe on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Cura support for non-Ultimaker printers is addressed in the Cura manual. I had no issues configuring it to work with the rep rap/i3v. The trickiest thing I remember is that retraction defaults to a pretty long length since Ultimaker has a Bowden extruder. So, not very tricky. I know slic3r has it's fans, but I couldn't be happier with Cura for where I am at in my printing. Especially now that I'm using Repetier Host with Cura Engine as an embedded slicer. I now have a quality user interface that allows me to do everything I normally want to do except design - full rotation and scaling support in part placement, instantaneous or fast slicing, layer-by-layer 3D view, manual printer control, G-code editing. With slic3r, I just grew weary of it taking forever to do it's thing or even never completing, with what seems to be pseudo-random nozzle movements and overzealous need for retraction to match, with issues in gap filling. Sure, I lost some flexibility from slic3r, but right now my print quality seems to be better off without it. Being frank, I also started to question the code stability of slic3r. Entries in the revision history talking about functions being ported to a new language or rewritten from scratch raised questions in whether I felt I could trust slic3r to perform consistently as versions roll out.

I can't really speak to the support function in Cura, though. I've only done one print with it (the wade's extruder base). I moved from slic3r 0.9.9 to v1.1.6 to leverage the "rewritten from scratch" support capability added in v1.0.0. Maybe I didn't have it set up right, but my limited experimenting with it didn't go well. The web research I then did seemed to indicate that those with particular support needs should really be building support into their design - that none of the actively-developed free slicers are as good at it as you want them to be.

EDIT: OK, I do remember having to futz a while with the first layer setup with Cura.
    I see. If I were to convert from a direct drive extruder/hotend to a Bowden one, would the retraction issue be resolved? I intended to switch over anyways, I'm just wondering if my independent decision to do so would actively help me when I slice in Cura. I actually printed a calibration torture test using Cura's slicer, and it was noticeably faster than Slic3r. You said that you've lost some flexibility by leaving Slic3r, but I wouldn't doubt the loss in advanced controlling and tweaking will be eventually redeemed by the Cura developers adding in those features.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulfe View Post
    I see. If I were to convert from a direct drive extruder/hotend to a Bowden one, would the retraction issue be resolved? I intended to switch over anyways, I'm just wondering if my independent decision to do so would actively help me when I slice in Cura. I actually printed a calibration torture test using Cura's slicer, and it was noticeably faster than Slic3r. You said that you've lost some flexibility by leaving Slic3r, but I wouldn't doubt the loss in advanced controlling and tweaking will be eventually redeemed by the Cura developers adding in those features.
    Slicer choice doesn't have to be an either-or. I have both on my system, and I can still use slic3r if I want to. Repetier-Host has both Cura Engine and Slic3r 1.1.7 as built-in slicer options, although I've only set up Cura in it so far. I know of two situations where I may still want to use Slic3r - if I need to manipulate the infill angle (Cura is fixed at 45 degrees) or use something other than linear/rectilinear infill.

There really isn't an issue related to direct drive vs Bowden with Cura. My point was intended to convey that the Cura default settings likely assume you have a Bowden like I think the Ultimaker does, and the default retract length is 4.5mm. Mine is now set to 1mm. This setting is something users should be tweaking for their setup anyway, so it isn't a big deal.

Printing faster in Cura is likely do to less time spent in travel, and less time spent going back and filling in little touch-ups that Slic3r seemed to like to do.

In reading various forums, it appears the Cura team wants to keep things straigtforward and not provide so much flexibility that users can get in trouble with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast