Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician
    Add Zulfe on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    In reading various forums, it appears the Cura team wants to keep things straigtforward and not provide so much flexibility that users can get in trouble with it.
    That's kind of disappointing, actually. You'd think that it'd be a huge plus for them to give their brand of software greater control over your printer, even more so on their own brand of printers.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulfe View Post
    That's kind of disappointing, actually. You'd think that it'd be a huge plus for them to give their brand of software greater control over your printer, even more so on their own brand of printers.
    I hear ya. Of course, being a commercial product, added functionality would come along with the liability for more technical support. Maybe that has something to do with it. Cura is based on Python scripting, and those that know it can likely tweak Cura to do what they want. I've read the lead developer pointing that out to people, along with reminding people that Cura allows "plug ins" to provide a way to change what Cura does for them.

Technician
    Add Zulfe on Thingiverse
    I hear ya. Of course, being a commercial product, added functionality would come along with the liability for more technical support. Maybe that has something to do with it. Cura is based on Python scripting, and those that know it can likely tweak Cura to do what they want. I've read the lead developer pointing that out to people, along with reminding people that Cura allows "plug ins" to provide a way to change what Cura does for them.
    No kidding? I've worked with Python a few times for SMTP communications and simple calculation programs. I'll have to see what I could build for Cura.

Quote Originally Posted by DanSilov View Post
    printbus, can you please share your Cura settings? Maybe just screenshots of all screens with checkboxes

I've played around with Cura, and it produced much better quality then Slic3r for me, and at much higher print speed. But I feel that some things should still be tweaked, but I don't have enough patience to mess around will settings there, which are a plenty.
    At least there's fewer settings than with Slic3r. Providing Cura settings is a bit complicated now that I'm slicing via Repetier Host. Repetier uses it's own config files to use with the slicer, so the ini files I have right now (one for print and one for filament) wouldn't work with standalone Cura. Standalone Cura does have an option, however, to extract settings from gcode. I'll look at trying that on a recent Repetier print perhaps tomorrow when I have more time available.

Of course, no two prints use the exact same settings. Don't pretend to think I've done all the experimenting and have found the "perfect" group of settings that everyone should use for everything they do.
    Last edited by printbus; 09-01-2014 at 11:30 AM.

...Standalone Cura does have an option, however, to extract settings from gcode. I'll look at trying that on a recent Repetier print perhaps tomorrow when I have more time available.
    Yeah, that didn't work. I'm guessing that what Cura does is read in the comments it embeds in the gcode files. Without the comments there in the right format, the gcode settings import doesn't appear to work.

I've used Cura exclusively for my last dozen prints. I'm not at home, but I can dig up my medium quality ABS profile from Cura for my 10" i3v and post it, if that would help. When I switch back to PLA (can't be soon enough!) I'll post those too.

Rather than reply in a Slic3r thread w/ Cura settings, I decided to create a new thread, here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12