Close

Student

NOT print in plastic

I've just joined this site so this may be covered already.

I want to print a range of models but not in plastic - unless, or course it doesn't look like plastic.
    The finish I want is the same as you get on fine detailed models cast in plaster/resin compounds like the model cottages you can buy (Lilliput Lane style models).
    I also want to be able to get very fine detail like the model cottages that are cast in silicon rubber moulds.
    Is this possible with a 3D printer that isn't going to cost as much as my house?

I've just got a Matter and Form 3D scanner which is TOTALLY useless at the moment because there is no Mac software for it. I hope to use it (EVENTUALLY?) to scan models I am making in wax, plasticine and wood and then fine-tune them in a 3D modelling program before outputting them to a 3D printer.

Mate,

You can find materials other than ABS plastic to print with. On this forum you could start your search by reading this topic: http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay...s-amp-Filament.

From the wording of your post, it appears that you have not purchased a 3D printer as yet. I suggest that you start off with a RepRap style of printer. These are technically simple to understand, and most people run them with Open Source software, which is not only free, but is being constantly tweaked to improve it. Remember that you have to crawl before you can walk. Don't go looking for a printer that will cost $'000's before you have mastered the basic operations of the printer, its controlling software, and object preparation software.

I have a MakerFarm Prusa i3 8" printer. You can get the U Beaut Prisa i3V 10" for $US575 plus delivery. I'd recommend that you get one of these. You can get filament from a mob in Bega NSW for $50 delivered per kg.

On the question of getting fine detail, one thing which has greatest effect on detail of printing is the thickness of the layers you can extrude. A thickness of 0.2mm should be easily attainable by an i3 printer.

In regards to the detail you can get from a scanner, you've opened a bigger can of worms than a NSW ICAC inquiry. I've been keen for a while to start a discussion into the degree of detail that can be obtained from a scanner. At this stage, I don't think that you can get the fine detail of a Lilliput Lane model as these are produced from molds which are milled to very fine tolerances. However, that's not to say that someday ...

Old Man Emu

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Actually you might be better not starting with a standard 3d printer.

Yes you can get different materials, but they are all plastics.

But you might want to take a good look at the hyrel printer: http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay...-Printer-Forum

Not massively expensive (not cheap). It's a conventional 3d printer but you can also upgrade with nozzles capable of printing in clay and a variety of other materials.

Not quite as expensive as a new house and probably the most versatile machine around:
    Works with Multiple Materials: Clay, Plasticine, Sugru, Silicone RTV, Porcelain, ABS, PLA, Nylon, and more!
    Basically it uses a giant syringe to print non-conventional plastics.

EVen the cheaper models can have the emo head attached.

Worth considering :-)

Staff Engineer
    I'll second the suggestion of the Hyrel printer, I've seen them in action at a few Maker gatherings here in Atlanta and they look pretty well put together and robust for the price. The hot-swappable print head is a pretty cool feature as well.
    Also, I just found out I work within walking distance of where they're made, so that doesn't hurt my opinion of 'em.

Other than that, Structur3d has a paste extruder add-on for existing printers called the "discov3ry", up for pre-order for $350, though I have no idea when they are supposed to ship. (I'm going to wait until I start seeing reviews from their KS backers, personally.)

I've just got a Matter and Form 3D scanner which is TOTALLY useless at the moment because there is no Mac software for it.

Just sayin, you could probably find a PC to run the scanner pretty cheap. Probably less costly than developing software to run it on a mac.... There may even be a used PC in your area for sale.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Hi. Late to the discussion, as usual.

Please PM me if you'd like an online session operating a Hyrel printer. We actually print in clay during the first session.

Cheers,
    Davo
    Team Hyrel

Technician
    FOR FDM printer you are quite stuck with printing in plastic however there is other options than ABS and PLA, why not try wood or Rubber/PP?

what you need is a stereolithography printer, like the form 1 (http://formlabs.com/en/), which goes for about 3,000 dolars.

Or you could wait until the peachy printer plus comes out,(http://peachyprinter.com )which will have similar accuracy, but for a third of the price.