Close

Looking for 3D Printer for Production Use

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a 3D printer for prototyping and I have a few questions I hope you can answer for me.

If I buy a 3D printer from the big companies like 3D systems and Stratasys, am I restricted to the materials that they sell or can 3rd party materials be used as well?

Are there any printers right now that are capable doing metal printing and regular plastic materials?

Are there any resources I can use to find specific specs for materials? Mainly ones thermoplastics that can withstand temperatures around 200C?

welcome to the world of 3D printer!

You will not be restricted to the materials the the seller produce/ sell if the 3D printer you will buy can support 3rd party materials. Most 3D printer can be allowed to use the 3rd party materials now. There are many models printers on sales. You need to contact the sales men and let them confirm if the 3rd party materials can be used on the printer you are going to buy. Try to select those printers that can allow you to use other materials as this will bring you more convenience and low cost.

For printers that are capable doing the metal and regular plastic materials, you need to search them on Google. This is the unique demand from your site. For most printers in the market, they are capable on doing the regular plastic materials and resins. For the metal printing, I am sorry that I have less knowledge on it. Maybe the printers specially designed for industry use can help you.

For the last question you threw out, I have no idea for it. Hope someone here can help.

Finally, hope you can get the printer that is fulfill your demand.

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    first, 3D systems and stratasys have products that can give you a good size print from what i know, but you must do your research about what types of materials that specific printer use, ie: resyn printers gives you a nice detail and can be dye and save you lots of problems if you want to show that print to a final customer, but they tend to be frágile.

you must be a little moré specific about whats your requeriments, size, color, detail, resistance of the final print. Right now if you want resistance just go for a fused plástics thecnology (Meabe im wrong about the name, cant remeber the exact thing i just like the idea of printing with filaments), you can use PLA, ABS, Nylon, PET, and other materials that can give you some crazy properties, like Filaflex and Ninjaflex, those aré rubber like materials very flexible.

Right now you print on plástics or metals, theres no a do-it-all 3D printer at the moment, but trust me, when you get deeper into 3D print you would want moré details and resistance, specially for prototypes.

and lásty, the commond temperature for this materials aré 185 for pla, 220 for ABS and 250 i think for nylon, so using this ones for high temperatures aré a huge no for the moment, but Hey the type of materials for this technology aré improvista every day, so Meabe we aré gona print at 400 C next year who know.

and sorry if i give you/ ask too much info i have a background in engineering and tend to be a little excesive in details, hope it helps you