Close

Is holding around 60 psi possible with 3d printing?

I need to 3d print a pressure regulator, the peak pressure it will reach will be around 58-60 psi, what material and infill should i use for this application? Any advice would be great,thank you for helping me!

Staff Engineer
    This is just a layman's "feel," but if you're going to be aiming for the more exotic (stronger) stuff like polycarbonate, possibly nylon. PLA, ABS, PETG, the usual stuff either won't hold the pressure, or if they will, they will likely fracture and blow-out. PLA can be pretty brittle and you won't want shards of that stuff flying around. If you're having a service perform the printing for you, you might get good results with selective laser sintering (SLS) which fuses a very fine powder to create the model.

Engineer-in-Training
    It is perfectly possible to print parts to hold pressure. For a project about a year ago we printed 60 mm diameter pressure vessel tops including internal passages and connection fitting threads . We used Spectrum Nylon PA6 LW . We made more than 75 of these parts and hydraulic proof tested them to 6 to 7 BAR or over 100 psi .
    But before you go ahead you must make sure that the design is suitably for manufacturing this way and Hydraulic proof test to
    At least twice the working pressure. If something goes wrong at these pressure it makes an awfully loud BANG and as fred_dot_u said you don't want the pieces flying around!!!!?