Close

Anet A3 - Auto Home send bed up into nozzle and makes terrible noise

Hey all,

Completely new to this, just got an Anet A3 gifted to me, and am trying things like levelling the bed. I did a simple "Auto Home" from the LCD to start with, and the nozzle moved to the correct corner, but the bed moved up to the top and keeps trying to go up, causing the nozzle to run into the side of the bed. Steppers start slipping and making an awful racket.

I am just exploring other people's experience with this now, and have seen in reviews that the Z-axis end-stop sensor on the Anet A3 is optical? Not sure what can go wrong with that or how to fix it (I am not an engineer or electrical guy -- just want to see if I can print some stuff).

I figure I won't be able to get very far with printing if Auto Home doesn't work, as it should be the simplest operation to perform on the printer for someone starting out... Any and all ideas on how to troubleshoot will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    sutekh137

Never mind, I just needed to play around (but will summarize here to close the thread...).

The Z stop sensor on the Anet A3 is indeed optical, but the little "finger" wasn't sticking in the optical path quite far enough (off by just a hair). So, I will play with how the sensor is mounted and shim it up and get the height right so that going home is accurate. Then I'll be ready to print!

Thanks,
    sutekh137