Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Technologist

Maybe my prev post too long CAN A HEATER ON HOT END GO BAD??

HELLO Can my heater go bad in the hot end? I get "failure to heat" messages. Not the bed, ran test, no problems. More or less isolated to hot end. Would watch temp rise to 200. Start out fine but after 120 would climb, then drop back cpl degrees. This would happen few times and never get higher than 170. SO CAN THAT LIL BARREL HEATER GO BAD AS I DESCRIBED??

Staff Engineer
    There isn't much to a heater cartridge, but they can fail. It's also possible that the wiring connections for the heater are failing. Consider to check the points in the wiring where it changes in any manner. If you have a direct wire from the heater cartridge to the main board, examine the connectors at the main board. If the connection is weak, it will heat up in the connection block instead of the heater. If it deteriorates sufficiently, you could have fire.

Useful information to provide for your future posts would be the model printer you are using.

Technologist
    Fred Thank you sir Youve given me a poss cause. Ill look into tomarrow

Technologist
    OK I flipped over printer and checked all connection to the stock mainboard. I checked with continuity meter to see wires are good to heater, they were good. I then ran nozzle temp alone up to 150, that was good. Then 160, that was good. Then I tried 180 and around 168 the message popped up again. GRRRR

Ender 3 Pro
    Ender Extender 300XL ( 300x300 bed) Mirror bed
    120 volt 750W heater, SSR, and insulation blanket
    Dual Z screws
    All metal extruder
    NEW 1k Thermister I thought that had gone bad(original 2+years old) Nope not cause

Staff Engineer
    Do you have the printer connected to a computer? Does the Ender support a USB connection to a computer? If so, consider to install Pronterface (might be called something else by now) or OctoPrint, as both of them allow graphs to be viewed in real time while the system performs the tasks. Sometimes that information can be useful. Since you can get to 168, command the printer to 160 and observe the graph.

Technologist
    NO I install gcodes by SDmini card Yes there is a usb on the mainboard, But I dont believe it can "chat" with my pc due to original 8 bit ender board still installed. I do have a new SKR 1.4 turbo and drivers , a CLTouch, wifi, and some other parts, I was hoping to get the 8 bit running so I could print a 1.4 case. I woner the firmware got messed up? somehow?

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes it does sound like firmware gone. AWOL but the ender 3 does not have a boot loader !!! That was one of the reasons I got a Sapphire pro. to join the ender.

Technologist
    I read an article late last night where fella was having same issues. It described how to take resistance (ohm) measurement of heater and what value it should be. Keep fingers crossed After I get all the upgrades installed, you wont reconise it as an ender

Technologist
    HMMMMMMMM What I read was that the hot end barrel heater should have resistance of ~19 ohms I measured 0 ohms Well reinstalled wires onto mainboard. MADE SURE TIGHT. hot end got up to 162 then FALURE TO HEAT RESET GRRRRRRR
    Last edited by Bruce19; 02-06-2022 at 11:18 AM. Reason: forgot dtail

Engineer-in-Training
    I think you have very much proved that then next step is the firmware!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast