Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Gartner Reports that Mainstream 3D Printing Adoption is 5-10 years away

Gartner's latest report says that consumer level 3D printing is around 5-10 years from becoming mainstream. With about 40 manufacturers selling 3D printers for business, and 200 startups developing consumer level 3d printers, the technology is definitely growing. They expect this growth to continue.

To be honest I would probably agree with this report, in that I don't think the mainstream population will have 3D printers in their homes for quite some time. While people already do, it's mostly just hobbyist. The technology needs to become easier to use and more practical for mainstream adoption to take place.

Read more about this report at: http://3dprint.com/12372/gartner-3d-printing/

Student
    I agree in principal, but I think they have to err on the side of caution. Almost every one had film cameras, back in the day, they were consumer devices, but we had the film developed by professionals. For a while 3d printing will be the same. In five years time we will likely have multi-material, printers printing complex goods, but we are downloading and modelling up our own designs now.

It might not be as simple as hitting ctrl-p just yet, but if you can install software on a pc, plug in a USB port, ( i.e. consumer / pro-sumer) and are inclined to learn how to use one, then one like this http://www.alayax.com/avatar-dual-ex...inter-171.html qualifies as a consumer level 3d printer. The momentum is being driven from public interest in 3d printers, not companies trying to sell us a product. Companies are only responding to that interest. People are still exploring, more than buying, but that is because they haven't found what they are looking for yet.

The trend towards having unique, well made products is stronger than ever. I think they are underestimating the creativity of people. Most have ideas, or want a custom widget that solves some problem, that would cost too much to have made any other way.

time will tell.

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    Actually the 3d printing industry will not be driven by the big companies out there, but by the small ones and hobbyst/thinkers all over the world, in fact those that actually made a bussines from all of this new technology will be those willing and clever enought as to find a solution to commons problems for common people, i cant stress enought how many times i have seen people having no idea about what they want, and most of the times they go to the wrong place and buy the wrong item, ie. : A man who wants a gift for his girlfriend and buy a pair of rachets or an skull head for his own car....you can imagine the face of the girlfriend.